Help B16a overheating!

ryn004

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
After a long drive (approx 45min) or going up a steep hill, the fluid in the resevoir tank starts to bubble and temperature marks hot. And the fan turns on after the engine heats up.

I'm stunbled on what the problem could be as the thermostat is new, all fuses, relays have been checked. I've been told that the bottom end has aa microscopic crack, which can cause this.

Can anyone clarify if there any other solutions, or if its really the botto mend i need to change?

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm how do they know it has a microscopic crack? seriously. did they take your motor apart? are you loosing anti freeze?

D50boy

5+ Year Member
Make sure the fans turn on and blow the right way. Sounds strange, but iI've had that problem. Also, make sure that your radiator hoses aren't collapsing and blocking the flow of water. Replace your water pump.

ekturbo

5+ Year Member
Yes check if tou are losing coolant.a crack would definately cause you to over heat. You should do a leak down test to see if tou do have a leak somewhere. Bubbles in radiator would make me think headgasket leak. but a crack can do the same.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It is a head gasket about to go, I 100% promise, I had the same thing happening on my stock d15 on my 4 door that I bought to swap a gsr in. But it bubbled, in the overflow. I figured out that it was blowing compression from the #1 cylinder into the coolant. Might want to just swap now, your time is limited and it might go anytime. FIX IT NOW!

ryn004

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
1. The engine hasn't been dismantled yet, I'm just seeing all possibilities.
2. We assume its a crack/corrosion on the block (were teh engine no is) as we've been told that its common on Honda's to go there rather then the top part.
3. Fan is blowing right direction.
4. Radiator has been dismantled and cleaned.
5. Coolant is lost by evaporation.
6. The engine is a B16A2, I rather not swap it.

Befor eI take the engine apart will check the propellor of the water pump.

ryn004

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Has anyone tried K-Seal? Sounds tempting.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
take the head off and get it checked, as well as the deck of the engine. And change the head gasket.