Help! Clicking in engine bay

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
hey i turned my car on today and i get this clicking sound coming from the belt area
its a constant clicking that doesnt go away
i looked in my engine bay and i hear it coming from the crankshaft pulley area/timing belt area
it clicks as fast as the engine is going
so if i accelerate it clicks faster and when im stopped its slower
anyone know what this is?
ive searched and im getting the timing belt needs to be replaced so i might go ahead and do that since i dont know when it was last done
and it could also be my ac?
when i turn my ac on it slows down....
any help with this woulkd be great

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like you might have a belt falling apart. Take a look at your a.c/ alternator/ and p steering belts and check for damage. And definitely take the cover off and inspect the timing belt and if you see damage, DO NOT drive your car until you replace it!

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
How would I go about to checking the timing belt without taking the bottome cover off? The crankshaft pulley is a b***h to take off without anninpact wrench

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
I change my ps belt and it still does it
I changed it cause it had a chip in it
I looked at my ac belt and it has chips along the track of the belt like where the belt meets the pulley
how would I change the ac belt?
Seems as though the thing mounted to the frame is in the way

RonJ

Banned
Loosen the center bolt on the A/C idler pulley and then loosen the A/C belt by turning the adjusting bolt. You need to remove the two bolts on the engine torque mount to remove the belt. You may as well also replace the alternator belt.

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
When the take te two bolts off the engine mount by the pulley the other mounts should hold the engine up right? Or should I put a Jack stand under the engine just incase?
Also what's the torque the bolts should be retightened at?

RonJ

Banned
When the take te two bolts off the engine mount by the pulley the other mounts should hold the engine up right? Or should I put a Jack stand under the engine just incase?
Just put a jack under the oil pan, though it's probably not necessary.

Also what's the torque the bolts should be retightened at?
40-lb-ft as shown in diagram.

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
Aight for sure I'll do it sometime this week I'll just be carless for a bit. Oh well aha I'll let u know how it goes. Also is it hard to do a timing belt at home?

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
ok so after buying the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and drive belts spending about 140 bucks
i took a good hard stare at the whole thing an said screw this.. it was guna take too much time
so i called around and asked how much labors gunna cost
quote? 300 bucks
440 for timing belt?
NOPE
apparently being asian helps in this matter
apparently speaking the same language helps even more
timing belt and everything replacement?
300 bucks
minus my parts?
100 bucks labor..
sometimes u gotta love what u hate right?
im getting it done tomorrow ill let ya know how the clicking goes.
thanks for all the help