HELP!!! Major Ticking Sound From the Head

hondatunerz2002

5+ Year Member
hey, i own a 2000 honda civic with around 130,000 miles on it. i recently noticed about a month ago that there was a ticking sound coming from , what it seemed was the headers. Over time it got really bad, I MEAN BAD. I was on my way home today when my car just dies. it will start but die. its something in the head i took off the valve cover and it was smoking. what seems to be the problem? theres a UGE decrease in POWER output coming from the engine. VTEC feels like nothing. and there is so much lag througout the hole RPM range? thanks everyone.

rcya2006

5+ Year Member
Im not a honda expert and I pretty much know nothing, but maybe your valves need adjusted???

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure, I definitely always think Valves if someone describes it as "ticking". But it's almost like your car's timing is completely off if the ticking is out of control. At first when I was reading I was fearing for a another timing belt thread. At 130,000 I would inspect the belt really quick just for peace of mind.

kidsamston

I am DM Kid Samston
5+ Year Member
yeah a bad timing belt would explain the power lose, happened to me at 150,000 miles =)

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had a problem very smiliar to urs... cept i couldn't get over 3.5K, it would be very slow.. i was basicaly in Limp mode.... i had a CEL too wit it.... gave it to 3 shops and they coculdn't figure out why... i found out that my timing belt had just a couple of teeth and thats what happened to me... not sure if ur is the same way...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you jumped timing... check the timing belt.

fronomo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
things i would check: engine timing, ignition timing, possibly valve clearances (although bad valve clearances wouldn't cause an engine to die that suddenly, and check your distributor. i had a similar issue once. the car would start, but as soon as i got on it to get going, it would cut out and die. ended up being the dizzy

fronomo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
****also, COMPRESSION TEST THAT MOTOR. if there is a tick, and the timing has in fact jumped, there is a good chance that a valve could have slapped a piston and bent it, which would explain the smoke coming form the engine too.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine used to tick. then it stalled out. it wouldnt start back up. and it wouldnt rev over 2500K. it had a spun rod bearing. its not a tick. more of a click. really really loud. its obvious though.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actually i been thru that too... rod bearing is a b**** to do when i had to replace crank and the rods....