Help me solve this EM1 mystery

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you do not want to participate, that is fine, I am not forcing you to participate, but please do not post in this thread with your wild ideas of how you believe I'm going to find your car and steal it. I have two of my own cars. I do not want yours. I only thirst for knowledge, not for stealing your Si.

I'm sure most of us have either seen the posts where people are wondering how many 1999-2000 Civic Si coupes (EM1) were produced.

Some of us have wondered it ourselves.

I tried contacting Honda about it. My local dealership had no idea, but pointed me to American Honda Motor Company in the hopes they might have some information for me. So I called American Honda, they took my information down and put me on hold. Then the woman came back on the line.

According to American Honda on 10-06-2009:
Lisa at American Honda Motor Co. said:
Honda does not release that type of information.
So, I've decided to try to take on a project to possibly figure out how many Si coupes were produced, for at least the US market. I would also like to figure out the approximate percentages of the different colors and see if my suspicions are true about them painting them in batches according to VIN.

I got this idea from a similar project Doespike on H-T has been working on, but his is with Integra Type Rs.

So here is my proposal, I will be collecting the following information for any and all EM1 coupes. The private information (VIN, location, name/screenname, owner, title status, etc.) will NOT be posted online ever.

Please PM me the following information (VIN, color and then title condition are most interesting to the research - VIN is required since I can't tell yours from other cars otherwise and without it I have no way to catalog it):

Year:
VIN:
Original Color:
Build Date: (inside driver's door jamb on sticker with VIN and barcode - it's in the upper corner in numerical form: ex: 3/98)
Owner: (actual name and screen name if applicable - perhaps I can track owners through the car's life)
Location of car: (city and state, at most - I do not want your address)
Status and other notes: (if you want to say this car has been stolen and recovered, stolen and never recovered, third owner, repainted, crashed, totaled, etc. then tell me here)

You can also link me to for sale ads you find (I might not have seen them) or mention cars you see locally for sale, a car you once owned, your friend's totaled car, etc. Please do not post your VIN in this thread.

I'm sure many people on here can vouch for me. Thanks for all who choose to help. =) :thumbup:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And no, I'm not trying to find every Si out there.

Please keep this thread free from argument and accusations. It only clutters the thread.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks again.

Does anyone think I should try to figure out exactly when the cars were built? I think it might be neat to figure out that the EM1 first came into production in the US in blank moth of such and such year. It'd be really neat if I could figure out the actual day. I'm sure I won't find "the first" Si though.

NoWayBack91Si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just curious...is there any way a dealership would be able to know how many were produced? Im sure you have already called and tried to find out lol, but i figured they would know or be able to find out somehow.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just curious...is there any way a dealership would be able to know how many were produced? Im sure you have already called and tried to find out lol, but i figured they would know or be able to find out somehow.
I haven't managed to get the information before, but I can try again in the next few days. I'm not sure if the person I will want to talk to will be there tomorrow.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks again.

Does anyone think I should try to figure out exactly when the cars were built? I think it might be neat to figure out that the EM1 first came into production in the US in blank moth of such and such year. It'd be really neat if I could figure out the actual day. I'm sure I won't find "the first" Si though.
They also say on the vin sticker in the door jam, the month/year of production, and which plant they came out of.

:thumbup:

Neat project.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I dont think they would give it to you but I'm pretty sure Honda knows how many EM1s they produced... and information received from this site and anyother site for that matter wont yeld you accurate results... you cant base your research on trusting what others may tell you in a pm. The most accurate answer to 'how many' has to come from the manufacturer.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I dont think they would give it to you but I'm pretty sure Honda knows how many EM1s they produced... and information received from this site and anyother site for that matter wont yeld you accurate results... you cant base your research on trusting what others may tell you in a pm. The most accurate answer to 'how many' has to come from the manufacturer.
I think that's mostly pretty obvious.

I'm hoping I'll get enough accurate information to get some answers though. Oh, and I make sure the VINs are at least real VINs. Much of my research has been coming from cars for sale.

Thanks for all who have helped so far. =)

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
didnt think about that but yeah, check autotrader, carmax, etc I'm pretty sure they provide the VINs. Bro, if all you wanna know is a number, try writing to them and maybe they'll give it to you.... It's just a number you want, asking peoples VINs and you actually processing all this data seems like a lot more work than you have to do (if they do give you the number). I say try, worst case scenario is they wont even reply, polite/proffesional scenario is they tell you NO, best case scenario.....

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
didnt think about that but yeah, check autotrader, carmax, etc I'm pretty sure they provide the VINs. Bro, if all you wanna know is a number, try writing to them and maybe they'll give it to you.... It's just a number you want, asking peoples VINs and you actually processing all this data seems like a lot more work than you have to do (if they do give you the number). I say try, worst case scenario is they wont even reply, polite/proffesional scenario is they tell you NO, best case scenario.....
Yeah, I've been collecting VINs and other information from many different sites (Cars.com, AutoTrader, eBayMotors, Autos.AOL.com, ModifiedCarTrader.com).

I've looked through tons of Honda's literature before and it's not like this is not a new question. There are plenty of Honda employees online and no one has piped up about knowing any production numbers related to the '96-'00 Civic (besides the Jordan overseas).

I'm interested in more than just the number. I'm interested in the percentages of colors, the production dates, percentage of stolen or totaled cars, etc.

Believe it or not, I actually like to make lists and graphs. Look in the specs on this site and my name should be on a few pages (or at laest they once were). Collecting the information in itself is FUN to me. It's work for me in the same way that writing a letter is work to a writer.

I would have stopped by today, but I got caught late at work.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wish I could help you, but I don't own an EM1... If I find anyone with them, I'll get their info. =)

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
PM sent.

im missing a piece of information tho, the production date. car had been stolen and they removed the sticker on the drivers side door jamb for some reason :what:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
whoopnip, don't piss anyone off about this VIN stuff. I'm not looking to upset anyone.
PM sent.

im missing a piece of information tho, the production date. car had been stolen and they removed the sticker on the drivers side door jamb for some reason :what:
If I get some other production dates for VINs around yours, I might be able to give you an estimate of when your car was assembled.

If you can get that VIN Status Inquiry from Honda it should give you a delivery date, which might give you a better idea. I know my delivery was one or two months after my car was assembled. I'd have to see when exactly my car was built in March. I know I've seen paint stamps on some parts on the car before, so I'll have to write it down next time I find one.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
BUMP! :D

abcdefg

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From the VIN list:

47% (34) Electron Blue Pearl
29% (21) Flamenco Black Pearl
25% (18) Milano Red

Plus one repainted car with no mention of the original color.

This reflects similar results to the EM1 color thread on Honda-Tech.