Help!! No Compression?????

dreamin

5+ Year Member
Please Help!! Newby with Compression ?????

I am in the middle of swapping out a d16y8 1.6L vtec with a d16y7 bottom with y8 head (money, time and availability of engines in my area is why I am doing this). The motor had compression across all cylinders of 175 - now when the engine is all put together and in the car there is very little to non-existant compression and the car tries to start but won't run. What could be wrong??? It has a new timing belt, new seals, new plugs, new wires etc and my mechanic is stumped :evil: :cry:

Last edited:

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you torque the head studs?
put oil in the cylinder a teaspoon ful and see if the compression comes up

dreamin

5+ Year Member
The car is 150 mi from me and I've texted to the mechanic working on the car and he said the head bolts were torqued to "spec". Just for me...what would the oil in the cylinder do?

dreamin

5+ Year Member
the mechanic doing the work said the head never came off the engine he's putting in - and the compression didn't change when he did the oil in the cylinders. So does this mean that maybe the valves are stuck open? or maybe the timing really is off - he's just missing something? He also said that the engine has been sitting "awhile" and is worried that the pistons might have frozen? What does this mean?? :what:

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Check to be sure that you can rotate the engine with some force but still turns by a breaker bar and socket on the crankshaft pulley.

If turning it is not possible, then you have one hell of a problem there.

If it is able to rotate, then it's not "frozen". Check head bolt torque specs, recheck all the electrical connections like all the sensors, and make sure that there is fuel pressure in the lines and the pump is doing it's job. Check your ignition timing, etc.

Do all the little things to check and it will bring you closer to the culprit of the problem.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
putting oil in the cyl after checking compression will tell you if the rings were bad. you only put like a teaspoon ful in

sounds like either valves are s**t, dunno how the odds of all 4 cylinders could be like that unless timing was off alot and u cranked it over. every time you put a motor to gether you should spin the motor by hand at least 2 full rotations to make sure timing is correct and the motor is not binding or stopping.

the headgasket too can cause this if it wasnt seated right