Help Please. Blowing Fuses

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
First off I have a 96 Civic HX Coupe.

Ok so I noticed the other day my dash/ ac control lights weren't working. With some help I found out which fuse it was that controlled all of that. It's the "instrument light" fuse 7.5 amp. Well I changed it out, and the chime noise for my headlights worked so I assumed the problem was fixed.

Well the next morning (next time I drove in the dark) I noticed once again my dash lights weren't working. So today I went to autozone and got a coupe fuses. If I put the fuse in it's fine, but as soon as I turn my headlights on the fuse blows.

Any help for a newb?

RonJ

Banned
This problem is often caused by bad wiring at the rear of an aftermarket radio. Start there.

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
Thanks a lot ill check it out. Can it just happen all of a sudden and what do I look for? Wires melted or what. Sorry for all thebquestions

sent from my HTC Evo

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
I was told there is also a good chance it is my dimmer switch. could that be the case?

sent from my HTC Evo

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
I did what you said, unplugged dimmer switch, replaced fuse, turned lights on, blew. So I took more of your advice and looked at my wiring going to radio. It looks put together pretty horribly. The wires are all clamped, some are just held together by electrical tape, and there is a set of blue wires, it's 3 of them, 1 coming from stock wires, 1 coming from radio wires, 1 coming from god knows where and they are all twisted together, and the ends are exposed. Could it be that?

RonJ

Banned
I did what you said, unplugged dimmer switch, replaced fuse, turned lights on, blew. So I took more of your advice and looked at my wiring going to radio. It looks put together pretty horribly. The wires are all clamped, some are just held together by electrical tape, and there is a set of blue wires, it's 3 of them, 1 coming from stock wires, 1 coming from radio wires, 1 coming from god knows where and they are all twisted together, and the ends are exposed. Could it be that?
This^ is a strong candidate. Locate the Red/Blk wire in that mess and inspect it as I mentioned.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most likely. clean all of those up with either crimp connections or solder and make sure they are well covered.

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
Red and black wires are fine. Checked orange wire, disconnected and crimped it just to be sure. I even disconnected the harness completely and it still blew the fuse.

The ONLY thing I've done to this car that has ANYTHING to do with wires, is removed a ugly ricer tach someone installed before I got it, I recently removed it. The cluster worked fine, but now it doesn't. I'm thinking I have a short some where, fml.

Taking it to my friend (car audio guy, pretty handy electrically and with wheels n tires) to have him look at it tomorrow. It isn't a big deal having no lights in the dash, it's just annoying

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
Found a possible new piece to the puzzle. There is a wire plugged into my fuse box, that is going to nothing. I'm assuming I should remove it..