HID FAIL (EMERGENCY) 98 civic ex

dsprimal

Banned
so I was installing my black housed headlights and installing my HID's on my 1998 civic ex to soon find out that the stock bulbs have THREE prongs and the HID's from ddm tuning i got has only TWO prongs. is there ANYWAY around this? or am i screwed for ordering what i had believe were the right bulbs (H4/HB2/9003 low beams). I still believe i got the right bulbs cause the list doesn't offer any others that would fit civic headlights. does anyone know if there's a way to convert a 2 prong headlight to work on a 3 prong fusion piece???

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
only two of the three connecters inside the oem harness can be used if the bulb is not a bi-beam because the OEM harness has a low-beam, hi-beam- and ground connector..the harness should have two connectors and each one goes into the OEM headlight connector...make sense?

dsprimal

Banned
only two of the three connecters inside the oem harness can be used if the bulb is not a bi-beam because the OEM harness has a low-beam, hi-beam- and ground connector..the harness should have two connectors and each one goes into the OEM headlight connector...make sense?
heres a picture http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/dsPriMaL/0401021626.jpg

So the stock bulb has 3 prongs, which fit into the harness that has 3 prong slots. From what you said i tried putting the 2 prongs into the left and right slots in the harness. tested it and nothing happened. unless its not that simple? maybe i'm missing a crucial connection step?

heres the harness http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/dsPriMaL/downsized_0401021645.jpg

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Try turning your high beams on. Had this prob b4 and they would only won when high beams were on

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looking at the plug with the middle hole [wire] on the bottom they go like this:

Negative
High beam

[middle] low beam

If you are going to run this set up, you need to have the high beams triggered [on] for it to work. That or you need wire your own with a male end on the wire to plug into the low beam hole.

Oooorrrrr, you could get the correct bulb.​

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So the bulbs u need ar h4 bulbs if thats the case i got a spare set thats brand new lyin around if ur intrested just shoot me a pm ill hook u up the bi so the got hi low on them for u

dsprimal

Banned
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

if you check the bulb type listing, i got the correct bulbs. either low beams or hi and lows. i figured i wouldnt need hi beams since i dont live in the middle of the woods and hardly use high beams anyways. there has got to be another way around this. i could imagine if i did get the "HI / Lo bulbs" i would have a perfect fight since i would have one more prong to put into the "middle" wire slot. right?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You didn't get the right ones. The right ones would have 3 prongs. The right ones are the h4 hi-low.

Just plug them in and keep the selector in the high beam position. That is the only way around it besides making yourself a jumper wire.

dsprimal

Banned
You didn't get the right ones. The right ones would have 3 prongs. The right ones are the h4 hi-low.

Just plug them in and keep the selector in the high beam position. That is the only way around it besides making yourself a jumper wire.
fail to DDM tuning and me then, cause the lo beam h4's should work too. otherwise they should offer regular H4's. /sigh :???: ill test out the hi-beam route.

radracer

5+ Year Member
get a test light and test which has power when you have your low beams on and what wire is the hi beam and put the red wire into the low beam slot and other to the ground slot thats how i had mine wired up

dsprimal

Banned
get a test light and test which has power when you have your low beams on and what wire is the hi beam and put the red wire into the low beam slot and other to the ground slot thats how i had mine wired up
so you had the same situation I have? how the stock harness has 3 slots but the hid bulbs only offer 2 red prong wires? i never tested out one wire in the middle slot and one in either the left or right. hmmmm.......

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I posted what wire does what in the stock plug.

Left is ground. Right is High beam. Bottom is Low beam.

00blackem1

5+ Year Member
its probably just a low beam bulb youll be using only 2 wires one ground and the other for the low beam

dsprimal

Banned
kk, so it seems like these bulbs will actually work? i tried only the left and right slots. ill put in one prong in the left, and one of the bottom. *crosses fingers* hopefully its that simple

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the kits i've ordered and installed on civics always came like that..just trial and error the two connectors into the three..always works for me

dsprimal

Banned
the kits i've ordered and installed on civics always came like that..just trial and error the two connectors into the three..always works for me
thanks bro! nothing better than waking up early on a monday morning to hear good news before a long dayof work.....you just made my morning!!!!!! :D

project_civic

-_- I just got H2 HID's 6000k...let me know how that works with your car so i dont have to waste my time putting it on if it doesn't work out to great...i might just have to order the h4's

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I still believe i got the right bulbs cause the list doesn't offer any others that would fit civic headlights.
Yes it does. The H4 hi-low are plug and play.

I have H2 in my morimoto mini retro. I already said twice where each wire goes in the stock plug in reference to 2 wire setups.