HID Problems

Aguespinosa

well recently i decided to switch out the stock yellow headlights on my 2000 honda civic came with 2 ground cables and a cable that had to be connected to the positive side of the battery. to cut a long story short i was working perfectly till yesterday afternnon when i tried to turn them on and nothing, since the hid's that i got were the dual beam i turn the high beams on em and i can hear the magnet pull back the bulb which would result in turning on the HID's but they wont turn on. anything i can possible do, was the way installed it wrong .

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I installed a DDM Tunnig kit not too long ago on my 2000 and had 0 issues with it, same dual beam type setup.

I know there's the battery feed, easy to connect, just make sure it's making proper contact. There should be a ground for each ballast, which I just used the existing grounds behind the headlights, these also are important for the lights to fire correctly. The connections from the ballasts to the bulbs should be pretty easy to connect, they usually invert the pairs so you can't mix them up. Aside from that, my kit only had 1 connection to the H4 harness, the other I taped off, just make sure this connection didn't come loose. Double check your work and make sure everything is tight.

On a side note, they gave me a relay to use with my kit (as it's a 55w kit instead of a 35w) and I couldn't get the system to work with the relay. I pulled the relay out and have been running without it for over a month now without issues.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This doesn't make sense to be honest. HID bulbs aren't dual. It would be an HID low and a halogen high in the same "shell" but the HID bulb can't do double duty. If it is done right with real projectors that are made for HID have a shield in them that moves up to change the angle of the "beam".

We have no idea what head lights you are talking about. Stock ones don't have the wires you are talking about nor do they have a magnet? Did you buy some cheap knock offs? Is there a city light or a halo ring?

Need more information here. Kind of confused.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This doesn't make sense to be honest. HID bulbs aren't dual. It would be an HID low and a halogen high in the same "shell" but the HID bulb can't do double duty. If it is done right with real projectors that are made for HID have a shield in them that moves up to change the angle of the "beam".

We have no idea what head lights you are talking about. Stock ones don't have the wires you are talking about nor do they have a magnet? Did you buy some cheap knock offs? Is there a city light or a halo ring?

Need more information here. Kind of confused.
Going by what he said with swapping out the stock headlights and having a problem with HID, I can only assume he's using something in the aftermarket HID area. I obviously don't know FOR SURE what he's using, but what he describes, sounds exactly like what I setup, and it was this kit:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I think what he means is they are a Low beam / Hi beam setup. I have the same setup by the sound of it in my car. It uses the same sinlge bulb setup as OEM, but when you hit the stalk for high beams, there's a magnet in the base of the bulb that pulls it at an angle to shine it at a higher angle. There's no extra light output, it just angles the bulb to shine higher off the ground.

I played with it in my driveway for like an hour. Kind of silly, but it works in getting the same light output to a higher elevation.

To be sure this is what's going on, OP does need to clarify his setup, maybe post a picture of the setup so we can help more.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm guessing it's a similar HID setup to the crap I had on my Civic. Lo / Hi HID's, but the HI is fake. That is, it's one bulb, but when switching to high's there's just a magnet that lifts the reflector a bit and helps point the same light output as the low beam, just upwards a bit.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm guessing it's a similar HID setup to the crap I had on my Civic. Lo / Hi HID's, but the HI is fake. That is, it's one bulb, but when switching to high's there's just a magnet that lifts the reflector a bit and helps point the same light output as the low beam, just upwards a bit.
That's what I'm thinking also. Though OP hasn't come back. They were nice vs stock output except all the people flashing their brights at you because you're that guy. Then the 2000 Coupe I picked up for the girlfriend had a Morimoto retrofit setup and I changed my mind; OP should do the same ;)