HID's in Foglights

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok guys so ive been doing some searching and some say hid in foglights will blind even though they are adjusted downwards and also i wanted to see how many of you have hid's in your fog lights. Im looking to put some hid's in foglights on an EM2.
what im asking is will the heat begin to affect the foglight housing? seeing as how i also have hid's on the headlights and i will be putting them on the foglights and looking to install a sound system later do i have to upgrade the battery?

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
About the sound and battery I dont know, but u can definitely throw some HID's in ur fogs and they dont really blind oncoming drivers because they are pointed downwards, the HID's in the headlights are the ones that do blind them. I've been flashed a couple of times with their highs to lower mine but o well. For the HID's in fogs though, u'll have to customize the housing a lil bit. I got 6K in ctr replica headlights and fogs, and no they wont melt the fog housing cuz HID's run at a lower temp than regular bulbs

EDIT: Its not my avatar picture what I got on rightnow although I do miss the 6K and 3K fogs

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What kind of customization do I have to do to the foglight housing? I'm looking to run 3k lighting. The ebay seller he does not recommend putting hid kits on their foglights because they run at a higher temperature and might cause damage to the housing

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
I bought my fogs from ebay 2 and they also said the same but I still went for it and put HID's in them. They wont melt cuz HID's run at a lower temp than regular bulbs. In regards to the customization, what I did was to remove the little reflector part that covers the fog bulb because they HID fog is a little bigger than the regular bulb, and then made a hole right in the center of the black plate of the fog light housing, that is a bitc* to do though, so good luck. I'll try to post some pics of the fogs today so u can see how it looks and at night as well so u can see how they seem once on.

EDIT: Pictures
This is how it will look without the reflector little part
This is just the fogs, and notice that they dont point upwards
This is the fogs and headlights, bot at 6K HID's. With this combo, I sometimes get flashed by oncoming drivers to lower them but I cant cuz they are only the lows.
Good luck, any questions just ask

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm well once i order the oem ones or some other better quality fogs i will try it but when i got the ebay fogs it was all just plastic man even the brackets and everything. This is actually for my EM2 though so i dont know if they will need some customization or not...guess i shouldve tried them out before i sent them back :oops:

im in central california may have noticed that since it was on my mw2 name but from the 209 area :D

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
O ok well I dont know how it might be for the em2, let me know what u end up doing. You might want to create a DIY thread for those out there with an em2 that also want to do the same thing, just my $0.02

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow its been a while posting on here for me.

As to the foglights, I installed 3K HID bulbs into my EM1 foglights almost the same way as LXDriver. The bulb itself is a little bit longer. But as oppose to removing the factory reflector, I pushed mine forward so the buld would fit. This saved me the touble of widening the buld entry hole and risking getting shavings in the housings. Keep in mind, the output of the light originally and still is straight out in front of the car on the ground, just like the white light fog pics above. Afterwards, I sealed the outiside of housing/butt of the bulb with Silicone sealant (sp?).

I've had them for a few years so so far so good. As much as I have looked at the EM2 fog housings, they look IDENTICLE to and EM1/EK except for the actual shape of the housings.

To conclude, CIVIC209, I think your on the right track and just need to dissasemble the bumper/housing and see what you are working with. Make sure the bulbs are straight and the sealed from weather when you are finished and I think you will be golden.
Battery draw, dont worry about it. If you have a high watt amplifier in your car for a sub if you have one, see if your accessory lights dim when you actuate the hids and such. You might want to go as far as buying a capacitor to regulate voltage for your car. But at least, check the before and after voltage of you 12v dc car battery with a volt meter when you turn your current headlight HID's on. It should be QUITE minimal.