High Mileage and Engine mods..

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
Alright guys, I really would like to throw a set of cams in the b18c but shes right at 196k miles.

Would you suggest leaving it alone and driving it stock unless I plan on a full rebuild, or is it okay to modify the head without touching the block with almost 200k miles.

Any personal experience with doing so? Recommendations for cams/valve springs.. etc?

Thanks!

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As long as the motor has been maintained well, you should be OK.

speedfoos

5+ Year Member
Run a compression test on her before doing anything. If that checks out, then mod away to your heart's (and wallet's) content.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
Im still sort of new the B series side of things, Ive had the teg about a year..... used to be a turbo d whore lol.

Anyway, what sort of numbers should I hope for from the compression test? And If my memory serves me correctly I dont want more than about 20psi difference between all four cylinders, correct?

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
^^ No it runs great, Im just weary about opening a 200k mile motor up for performance parts.

A D series would be a different story, but im not willing to shell out the cash for another B18c1 if something goes wrong lol.
I figure I'll get some opinions and try to learn from other peoples experience, as well as some of my own
research on whether or not to leave it alone or go for a little more power.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im still sort of new the B series side of things, Ive had the teg about a year..... used to be a turbo d whore lol.

Anyway, what sort of numbers should I hope for from the compression test? And If my memory serves me correctly I dont want more than about 20psi difference between all four cylinders, correct?
As long as the compression #'s are within about 20psi of each other, your good. A higher milage engine is going to have less compression #'s than a new engine, so just remember that. The only thing I'd worry about, is siezed bolts and whatnot.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
are you planning to continue building it? i would just hold off

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
As long as the compression #'s are within about 20psi of each other, your good. A higher milage engine is going to have less compression #'s than a new engine, so just remember that. The only thing I'd worry about, is siezed bolts and whatnot.
Well its been maintained like nothing Ive seen, the guy had every single service record for the car.
The guys I worked with were former Acura techs, one of which PDI'd the vehicle before the first owner bought it and continued maintenance for him until I bought it. Im not worried about much at all, except the mileage.

Seized bolts inside the engine? Maybe if I ran it without any oil in it :shock: lol

are you planning to continue building it? i would just hold off
No, Id just like a little more power.. something cams and an upgraded valvetrain should do for me.

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
matt....drop in a k or put more decals for more hp

speaking of decals lol