Honda Steering wheel options for 00 civic coupe

Genyc07

I recently bought a 00 civic and I'm my first order of business is to update the interior. I want to replace the steering wheel but I'd like the replacement one to say honda retain the airbag functionality as well as the cruise control feature are there other wheels I can install without crazy modding from maybe a newer honda?

Thanks

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe one from the same generation might work, but from other gens, how do you plan on getting the airbag to work? They have different sensors and control units.

This information could be found by searching. People have swapped steering wheels in these since they came out over 13 years ago and have been talking about it since. Many have even documented how to articles and discussed weather or not air bags work or not.

Genyc07

If you don't want to answer a question just don't answer that's fine. I do use searches but maybe I don't know what to write because I get 14 pages of threads. Most which don't pertain. But again if you don't want to share useful info or you just don't have suggestions for my preticular application that's fine. I'll wait for someone to answer who does. Yes I've been searching I have found some options that don't interest me so I figure I should just ask the experts. Maybe there's one who would rather talk shop than try to belittle a self proclaimed noob with trite statements about search engines.

This way maybe I can weigh All my options. To answer your question I have no clue how I would make it work I just know the current wheel looks dated and was wondering what others are doing as I'm sure I'm not the first person in 13 years to think the wheel could be better. In fact there probably isn't a question about the number one selling car in the world that hasn't been asked and answered in the past thirteen years. Maybe my questions seem trivial to u but I bet there are people like me too intimidated to ask and others eager to revisit the options that are out there who enjoy discussing these things.

I look to forums to find people with similar interests who like to share experiences and knowledge. If this isn't that I'll look elsewhere.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
6th gen civic the number one selling in the world? Seriously? :lol:

Thank you for the laughs and good luck on your project.

Genyc07

6th gen was the the number one selling car in its class global distribution taken into consideration The years they were produced can u name one compact with high number produced 96 thru 2000.

Furthermore the points above are still valid regardless of wether the civic was number one or two in its class any preticular model year

Genyc07

Great thanks I read the lick searched found a jdm wheel that would look good I think but a couple questions.

JDM Honda Civic EK9 Steering Wheel SRS Airbag Rare Grey Black Leather EK4 Si SIR

I saw this one on eBay this was the title I don't have a link sorry it says it need the explosive reinstalled to use the airbag anyone know if It could be done DIY or is it a professional only application?

Also it has no cruise control switch what people doing to keep the cruise feature when they change the wheel over.

Thanks again that was a really helpful link

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
6th gen was the the number one selling car in its class global distribution taken into consideration The years they were produced can u name one compact with high number produced 96 thru 2000.

Furthermore the points above are still valid regardless of wether the civic was number one or two in its class any preticular model year
I would be very surprised if that is even remotely true. There are too many variables to consider to be the top selling car from 96-2000. Especially when you are claiming world wide sales. Doing a quick google search shows that the top selling car of all time is the Toyota Corrola. That is full out not just in it's class, that is everything considered from trucks, to sports cars, to suvs. A search for 1999-2000 shows an article on edmonds.com and has the civic as the 7th selling car. That isn't even in the top 5. The top worldwide those 2 years for family sedan was the Toyota Camry.

I apologize for this getting off track, back to your questions.

...Also it has no cruise control switch what people doing to keep the cruise feature when they change the wheel over.
I remember reading an article once that a guy did some after market configuration with a couple buttons on the dash to keep the cruise control, but it might be likely that the links are dead and the pictures don't work as it was years ago. I think the article was on honda tech and was about putting an aftermarket wheel on and keeping cruise control.

Along with the cruise and air bag system to work, it can sometimes be tricky and almost impossible to get the horn to work as well. Being that the horn runs through the same cable as the SRS. I know the newer the car the harder it is to get an outside SRS system to code and work properly. Being that it could mean the difference between life and death most people don't seem to bother with them or unplug them so they don't have a false "start".

Genyc07

Yeah CPG i read in your previous link the s2000 would use a dual stage airbag the y2k civic is a single stage airbag wiring it up to be functional could be hazardous. IDE prefer working airbag to functional cruise. But I'm not too big on settling so I'm going to do some cruise control research. I think I've seen aftermarket kits to put cruise into non cruise cars. If the steering wheel, horn and airbag included will be functional in the jdm wheel I sited earlier, I'm thinking that would be a good start. Well I'm off to go learn what I can if anyone has used the wheel mentioned above and has insight please let me know. I'll start looking into the cruise thing thanks.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going to be a bit hard for someone to tell you if or not they got a wheel to work that they can't see to match up. Providing a link to the wheel you are looking at would narrow down the guess work dramatically.

Also you said that the ad mentioned the "explosive" missing? There is more to it than just an explosive, so that is kind of confusing. Might want to contact the seller and find out exactly what it is that they removed. Is the initiator missing? If so, I don't know if you can get that component separate so you might want to look into that as well.

Messing around with SRS systems is so dangerous. I don't know how many air bags are in the 6th gens or if they have ignited seat belt per-tensioners but keep in mind that if just one part of the system is not hooked up or working then none of them will work in an accident.

Last edited: