How can I tell the Vtec Engagement in a d16z6

Dnguyen92

Hello, I have aa 92 eg cx with a d16z6 swap. Why the guy went from a stock sohc to another sohc, I have no clue. But How can I tell if it's even engaging? When does vtec typically engage in a d16 and what possible problems could cause it not to work? I know the easiest way to tell is from listening the header and exhaust when you're driving but I was red lining yesterday and I honestly couldn't really tell the difference. I was reading in another thread that if you're going past 5600 then you're in vtec but that doesn't seem very high in my opinion. I was red lining at 8k's yesterday so any information will be greatly appreciated.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Because it went from 90some hp to 127. And the z6 is cheap and drops right in with stock mounts. Three good reasons to swap. Solenoid might be bad, make sure the P28 ecu was swapped in with the motor, although if it's hitting 8k I would guess it is. Some VTECs crack harder than others too.

EJ6b16a2

Hello, I have aa 92 eg cx with a d16z6 swap. Why the guy went from a stock sohc to another sohc, I have no clue. But How can I tell if it's even engaging? When does vtec typically engage in a d16 and what possible problems could cause it not to work? I know the easiest way to tell is from listening the header and exhaust when you're driving but I was red lining yesterday and I honestly couldn't really tell the difference. I was reading in another thread that if you're going past 5600 then you're in vtec but that doesn't seem very high in my opinion. I was red lining at 8k's yesterday so any information will be greatly appreciated.
you should be hitting vtec at 4,800 rpms they way you can tell is the car will pull a little harder and it will sound like you have a just stepped on it even more like

bbrrrrrraaaaaaaa, (4,800) BBBBBBRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

get it? and if its not doing that you could have a few things wrong you may have a bad vtec solenoid bad knock sensor. or you could just go here and read this thread

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=830163

hope it helps!

Dnguyen92

LOL. I like your sound effects. But yeah I was looking on like wiki and they said vtec for d16's is around 4500. There really isnt any different sounds when I'm around that area on the rpm tho. How do i make sure the correct ecu is with the car? I got it from some mexican guy, he said there's a gsr ecu and its mounted on the passenger side.. But thanks for the tips guys I hope more people will come in and throw more info!

DaOne

its more noticeable (sound) if you have a aftermarket intake.
Low oil pressure, wrong ecu, cold engine etc.. (just to name a few)would cause vtec to not engage.

Dnguyen92

Yeah I got an aem cold air intake in it and I just got an oil change last week... what ecu am i supposed to have in there? The guy i got the car from said there's a gsr ecu but idk how to determine what kind i have.. any tips?

DaOne

if there IS a gsr ecu in there then that would definitely make vtec not work. you need a vtec obd1 ecu, P28.

The ecu is on the passenger side on the panel next to the door.. under the footwell... cant really describe lol should be underneath the carpet.

Dnguyen92

yeah that's exactly where it is. I'll check it out tonight. How would i be able to tell if it is a p28 or a gsr ecu?

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh thank you!! Last question.. would i need the ecu for the d16 or for the car model which is a cx.
You need the ecu for the motor. Which is a P28. Which has been said like three times already. C'mon guy.

DaOne

you need the P28 ecu.
You go with the ecu that is supposed to go with the engine, not the car chasis.
And your welcome lol

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need 3 things to hit VTEC
1) Correct Oil pressure - if you don't have enough oil, it won't engage.
2) Warmed up engine
3) You need to be loading the engine, won't work in neutral

If your VTEC isn't working, the car will feel gutless at high RPM, it will feel like It stops pulling as hard after 5000 rpm. You won't (or at least shouldn't) feel it engage, but you should notice that the engine pulls hard all the way to redline, I know my b16 does.

Everything I've read also says you won't feel it crossover on a SOHC motor.

EJ6b16a2

dude just swap it out or something better and faster. go b18 or even k20 (that is when you have the cash)

DaOne

Yeah you dont really feel it... its more of the sound change, at least in SOHC engines i've driven

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yep, doesn't matter. As long as its a D16Z, the motors were the same 92-95.