How can I tell the Vtec Engagement in a d16z6

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
dude just swap it out or something better and faster. go b18 or even k20 (that is when you have the cash)
I like when people suggest a k swap to someone who doesnt even understand which ecu to run with which engine or cant tell if vtec is engaged.

Dnguyen92

I like when people suggest a k swap to someone who doesnt even understand which ecu to run with which engine or cant tell if vtec is engaged.
lol. i'm new. but a k20 swap would be too expensive for me anyways. might as well buy an dc5 when i get an actual job.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
lol. i'm new. but a k20 swap would be too expensive for me anyways. might as well buy an dc5 when i get an actual job.
thats my point, everyone starts somewhere, so the k swap idea is a little dumb at this point

and this isnt the only time, someone has to throw that out there on every "what to do" thread

EJ6b16a2

haha i just got the car about a month ago.. don't really have much money for a swap yet. a b18 swap is like 2g's?
I paid 3500 for engine and tranny and did all the work myself (with the help of some friends of course)

DaOne

Have you checked around at wrecking yards/Pick N pulls around you?
im sure it will be a lot cheaper if you found one at a wrecking yard.

Is your car an automatic?
that ebay link is for an automatic ecu

From Ebay link you posted
"P28 ECU from a 1992 Honda civic EX. This is a Auto ECU, Never chipped. 100% virgin stock computer. These are commonly chipped however. 38720-P28-A50. This is a Vtec SOHC engine computer. "

From link i pasted on first page lol
The last 3 characters are broken down into 3 parts. "A" generally is used for US ECUs. "G" is European, and "J" is Japanese. There are other versions of this, but you get the idea. The second digit "0" typically means manual transmission, where a "5" means automatic transmission, and the last digit "1" is the version number.

00ekftw

Not much of a difference in single cam motors. Kind of quiet but you can deff tell if it would be engaging or not. Take your solenoid off and make sure no valves or ports or anything are clogged. Screen should be clean of debris. Check connection for split wires etc.

Dnguyen92

Not much of a difference in single cam motors. Kind of quiet but you can deff tell if it would be engaging or not. Take your solenoid off and make sure no valves or ports or anything are clogged. Screen should be clean of debris. Check connection for split wires etc.
Where's the solenoid located?? Haven't been able to find it. But I'm about to order a p28 ecu so hopefully that'll do the trick.