How do I take this off??? Pic inside....

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not rockin my rear seats anymore, well I havent for actually a while now.

Underneath the rear seats there's this (i believe it to be) insulating or sound/vibration suppression 'sheet'. It's about a 1-2mm thinck and since my car was made about 9years ago, that s**t doesnt come out so easy.

I thought a grinder would take it off easily but I think my gas tank is right below that so that seems a bit risky as a grinder would cause alotta sparks to fly... So you guys have any idea???

I thought that if after a few hours of my car being parked, the SFL heat would help me take it off and it helped but by looking at the pic, that progress I made took me about 20min. That's alot for just a few square inches removed.

Let me know what/how you guys have done it. Thanks!

And just to throw it out there; I'm looking to buy Eagle Rods (new/used) and a set of pistons, both for a D16.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yup, dry ice.

let it sit for a while, and it'll make the sound deadening come up like potato chips.

but why would you really want it off? why not get color matched spray pant, and paint over it to give it a cleaner look? removing that piece alone wont save any noticeable weight.

deemee

I am the Master...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
at most your shaving 10 lbs. of your car and your car is going to become very noise...

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
weight reduction.... no way, that's not the reason I want it off. That's the reason the seats came off. I want that thing off cause it's ugly and yes, once removed, I do intend to paint it the color of the surronding area (some sorta grey)

So dry ice it is. thanks. Oh, and thanks for the link, its bad-ass.....

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I want to find out what thats called because I want to completely cover my floor with it.

deemee

I am the Master...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dynamat is the name of the product... I think

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
dynomat is expensive to do the whole interior of the car i used to do custom car audio installations for firedog and a local shop we said screw it to dynamat and used the foil sound deadoning stuff you can get at home depot it works just as good and is much cheaper. its easier to take off too if you ever want it gone. its even a bit lighter great little product and if you take that s**t off i heard theres more of it around the whole car my uncle said he did it to his gsr, swapped power windows and stuff for crank. replaced the hatch window with a fiberglass one and did some more gutting saved a ton of weight i suggest if your gonna go through all the work go all the way otherwise you wont feel the difference even without rear seats your only saving about 25 lbs since its made out of all foam and cloth theres a bit of metal in the backrest but thats it. i did that s**t too. removed seats seatbelts all the plastics in the back, sound deadoning, gutted the trunk and floors, carpet

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
under the carpet i mean sorry stupid computer sucks, if you really wanna lose weight your speakers passenger seat, deck , ac, power steering, all the lines and hoses you dont need, condensor, cruise control, heater core if its a summer car basically anything you dont NEED haha

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn someone beat me to the answer lol

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Has anyone run a decibel meter before and after removing the sound deadening? Curious as to how much louder it gets.