How much aint does it take to paint the front bumper?

djwill13

5+ Year Member
My front bumper needs to be repainted due to some unfortunate bs. I'm thinking about ordering the paint myself and then taking it to the paint shop and having them put it on. My delima is, how much paint should I buy? Pint? 1/2 gallon? Gallon?

Mods, if this doesn't go here, my apologies. Didn't see a "paint" section anywhere.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=23

paint falls under body work.

Honestly, i would say if you do not know how to install a bumper yourself. You should probably just leave the painting to the professionals too.

You need to prep the bumper first with scotch bright, adhesion promoter wipe, then sealer, base, clear + the hardeners and reducers

Approx. 6-8oz of sealer (reduced)
Approx 10-12oz of base (reduced)
Approx 10-12oz of clear

Enables

5+ Year Member
I got the paint myself at CarQuest for 50 bucks, And had some one at a body shop do it on the side for 150. It was a good deal, Midnight Blue, You can go with a quart. then you need clear if they dont.

djwill13

5+ Year Member

paint falls under body work.

Honestly, i would say if you do not know how to install a bumper yourself. You should probably just leave the painting to the professionals too.

You need to prep the bumper first with scotch bright, adhesion promoter wipe, then sealer, base, clear + the hardeners and reducers

Approx. 6-8oz of sealer (reduced)
Approx 10-12oz of base (reduced)
Approx 10-12oz of clear
I'm not planning on painting it or doing any of the prep work. I just figured if I bought the paint, maybe, possibly, the paint job would be a little cheaper. I've removed the bumper and put it back on no prob and plan on just taking the bumper up there by itself to have it painted.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can buy basecoat in 1/2 pint size, that's more than enough for a bumper.
But the body shop can get the paint a lot cheaper than you can, especially
if they have their own mixing bank. they may even have some left over from a
previous job of your color. Talk to them first.
I charge $200 to paint a bumper and that includes primer, paint and clearcoat.:cool:

djwill13

5+ Year Member
I charge $200 to paint a bumper and that includes primer, paint and clearcoat.:cool:
Doesn't sound too bad. Thanks.

djwill13

5+ Year Member
What about to strip paint off and then repaint it?

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I usually don't do that, the price of a new bumper is less than the labor of stripping, USUALLY!!!!
But I have stripped them, I use paint stripper and have never had a problem with it.
I like the stripper in a spray can so you can keep spraying it on without disturbing it.
You can buy it in a spray can at auto stores like Autozone or you can pour stripper into
a spray bottle made for it. The main thing is making sure you clean it real good after stripping.
I use a scuff pad with Dawn dish soap.
If you want your bumper to stay free of the road rash caused by rocks and such, then
put epoxy primer on your bumper after a good adhesion promoter and it'll reduce the chips 90%.
It makes a huge difference, just make sure your epoxy is a flexible one, if not add some
flex agent like Bulldog and you're good to go.
I paint mostly bumpers and the epoxy has made a huge difference for adhesion.:cool:

djwill13

5+ Year Member
I usually don't do that, the price of a new bumper is less than the labor of stripping, USUALLY!!!!
But I have stripped them, I use paint stripper and have never had a problem with it.
I like the stripper in a spray can so you can keep spraying it on without disturbing it.
You can buy it in a spray can at auto stores like Autozone or you can pour stripper into
a spray bottle made for it. The main thing is making sure you clean it real good after stripping.
I use a scuff pad with Dawn dish soap.
If you want your bumper to stay free of the road rash caused by rocks and such, then
put epoxy primer on your bumper after a good adhesion promoter and it'll reduce the chips 90%.
It makes a huge difference, just make sure your epoxy is a flexible one, if not add some
flex agent like Bulldog and you're good to go.
I paint mostly bumpers and the epoxy has made a huge difference for adhesion.:cool:
Thanks for the help. Reason why I'm asking all this is because I just got into a little fender bender and the only damgae is on the bumper. There's nothing physically wrong with the bumper, thanks to the fact that it's PU (thank god), but of course the paint is bruised and busted.

Now, I just need it stripped and repainted. It's part of a kit, so getting a new one isn't exactly the cheapest or easiest answer lol.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My front bumper needs to be repainted due to some unfortunate bs. I'm thinking about ordering the paint myself and then taking it to the paint shop and having them put it on. My delima is, how much paint should I buy? Pint? 1/2 gallon? Gallon?

Mods, if this doesn't go here, my apologies. Didn't see a "paint" section anywhere.
Here is the appropriate section..

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the bumper is not damaged then just sand the damaged paint, prime just that area, spray
color and blend that area and then clear the entire bumper. That's usually what I do.
You're always better to blend the color into the existing, new paint never matches perfectly but
if you blend it, it won't be noticable. I always try and blend the new into the old, especially at the
corners or ends where it will be against the other existing panel.
Sometimes I've blended a qtr panel because I had to paint the entire bumper.

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
Speaking of paint job, do you know how much would i be spending for a full paint job on my EK color would be metallic black or can you give any suggestion for a good combination of black?

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anywhere from $299.00 to $10,000
Seriously, that's like asking how much new a car will cost.
you need to know what kind.

You can easily spend up to $1000.00 on just the cost of supplies depending on the type
of paint and work to be done. It takes me 100 hours of labor to do a decent job
and easily twice that for "showcar" work.

You usually get what you pay for, I won't do overall paint jobs for anyone but myself.
I only do small collision repairs for customers.
I usually charge $250.00 a panel for just paint in a normal color.
Overalls take to much time to do right
and if you don't do it right, the customer comes back in a few months wanting something
fixed or done better. I don't do them, very few would pay to have it done right.
My paint buddy does them, but his price starts at about $4000 and usually is around $6000
And for what he does, he earns every penny.
It takes a lot of hours to do it right.
If you're happy with less than that, then go to Maaco or a place like that.
They give you a lot for the money. But it won't be a "good" paint job.:cool:

djwill13

5+ Year Member
If the bumper is not damaged then just sand the damaged paint, prime just that area, spray
color and blend that area and then clear the entire bumper. That's usually what I do.
You're always better to blend the color into the existing, new paint never matches perfectly but
if you blend it, it won't be noticable. I always try and blend the new into the old, especially at the
corners or ends where it will be against the other existing panel.
Sometimes I've blended a qtr panel because I had to paint the entire bumper.
The only problem with that is, it's more than just a couple of areas where the paint is chipped. Also, there are stress fracture breaks in the paint, but not the bumper. If it would help you get a better idea of what I'm talking about, I'd gladly take a pic...Oh, and the color is stock green (g28p I belive)

FYI, I took the bumper up to a local shop here, and they wanted to charge almost $800. I told them they were full of isht and walked out. There's no way what I'm asking for could possibly cost that much. Thanks for all your help and being so helpful though. Greatly appreciated