how much boost will my d15 handle!!!

mitchwbr

So im new to this forum but, i have had my ek for about six months now. just blew the old engine and decided to put the same sohc vtec back in it.Now im starting out fresh with a brand new rebuilt motor and, i want to turbo it but dont wanna end up in the same boat all over again any advice on maybe a low boost turbo that i can get away without swapping out pistons?? thanks guys and sorry for the newbie question BTW lol.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My uncle boosted a d15b7, 8psi, stock internals... Took it to the track on a 91 hatch and was running faster than the GSR's...

mitchwbr

Hmmm? what about using one of those ebay kits? ive heard from some people their crap and some their not bad at all.... has anyone ever installed one of these???

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
How much wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ok listen its not the amount as much as turbo choice condition of the motor I suggest not Ebay will end up 50% chance of it being s**t and I would say around 80 or 90 % that it will endup turning to s**t if didnt when you install.

Zedicous

Stay with either 5 or 7psi and you'll be fine. get a turbo timer also or allow your car to cool properly before pulling the key.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
although important the amount of boost it can handle doesnt matter as much as the budget, mechanical knowledge you have, and your power goals.
and also you have to set these goals relasticly since you said you want to keep stock pistons i can only assume you want to keep pretty much everything stock thats possible so the amount of boost it can handle will be lower.
do not use ebay like you said reviews are half and half i wouldnt bet on the odds of there being a 50 percent chance that it sucks. And like said above even some of the good reviews from ebay turbo kits come from when they are a fresh build. i have very rarley heard of someone saying i have had a ebay kit for etc years and havent had to do anything to it.
obvisly the safest amount of boost it can handle should not be exceded, but if you can make your power goal under that amount of boost then it dosent mean as much that it can handle more.

Last edited:

mitchwbr

Well thats the big factor. money. does anyone believe its possible to boost it low and stay between 1000-1200 dollars budget. and can you get a quality kit from somewhere other than ebay for this budget

emerican

Registered VIP
you will have to peice it together yourself thats the cheapest way. it takes longer though and you have to know what all you need and goes together.

vtec_junkie

i put a ebay kit on my 95 coupe.. stock d15b. lots a fab work and fitting to get it to work. it ran great running the 7 psi wastegate setting.
but once u get used to it you wana turn it up and thats when s**t starts breaking. my sugg is def get arp head studs and a better head gasket b4 you install the turbo kit. it wasnt my dd so i turned it up to 22 psi tuned with 550cc inj. and a 255lph fuel pump and i cracked the sleeves after a weekend of hard abuse.. but it still got me home..

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I see this question a lot...

Basically, don't consider boosting over 9psi if it's your DD. Plain and simple. Also, eBay kits are pieces of s**t. Do NOT get eBay anything turbo related (although charge piping and front mount intercoolers are kinda okay). Do research. Tons of research. I couldn't begin to tell you everything you need to know in this thread. If you have someone around you that has experience boosting Hondas, pair up with them (so long as they don't swear by eBay kits and knockoff wastegates/BOVs). Also, f**king TUNE. PLEASE. lol.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only thing I would add to a turbo build from ebay is a cast-log type manifold, other then that... ebay = crap, poor fitting and prone to damage.

you should study up on AR., compressor sizing to displacement, fuel delivery, timing and finally heat exchange.. this will teach you how the turbo interacts with the motor and how little the PSI actually matters and how much CFM's and cylinder temperatures are the keys to motor longevity.

For example you can run an Rhb3 @42lbs psi it would be equivalent of running an HX35 or TD06-20G at 5-8psi...

there is too much to type out, read the stickies and you'll realize how irrelevant the OPs question is.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Stay with either 5 or 7psi and you'll be fine. get a turbo timer also or allow your car to cool properly before pulling the key.
Wrong.

5 to 7 psi varies greatly from turbo to turbo. I ran 9psi for a whole year and I beat the crap out of my engine and its still running today.
I see this question a lot...

Basically, don't consider boosting over 9psi if it's your DD. Plain and simple. Also, eBay kits are pieces of s***. Do NOT get eBay anything turbo related (although charge piping and front mount intercoolers are kinda okay). Do research. Tons of research. I couldn't begin to tell you everything you need to know in this thread. If you have someone around you that has experience boosting Hondas, pair up with them (so long as they don't swear by eBay kits and knockoff wastegates/BOVs). Also, f***ING TUNE. PLEASE. lol.

What if he gets that turbo? OP can take it much higher than 9 psi and still have a very reliable build. Seems like a very naive answer from someone calling themselves a "boost junkie"

OP eBay turbo kits are decent kits. What many peeople do is get an eBay kit, install it, tune it, and little by little build on it. I would recommend you do your research and figure out how you want to do this. The most important part of the build is the tune so make sure you have a place figured out. Hondata or Neptune cost more than Crome since they have more features but they arent necessary on a basic build. You can always upgrade to them later.
I had an eBay kit with a T3/T4 .63 trim turbo on 9 psi, tuned on Crome. I ran it for a year with absolutely no issues pulling away from GS-Rs and Si's like they were stand still.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the only thing I would add to a turbo build from ebay is a cast-log type manifold, other then that... ebay = crap, poor fitting and prone to damage.

you should study up on AR., compressor sizing to displacement, fuel delivery, timing and finally heat exchange.. this will teach you how the turbo interacts with the motor and how little the PSI actually matters and how much CFM's and cylinder temperatures are the keys to motor longevity.

For example you can run an Rhb3 @42lbs psi it would be equivalent of running an HX35 or TD06-20G at 5-8psi...

there is too much to type out, read the stickies and you'll realize how irrelevant the OPs question is.
This man knows his shet, you should listen to him.

Heres a way you can find out if someone knows their stuff or not when it comes to boost. That whole year I was boosted I heard everything and anything from other guys who werent boosted on how to make my car better and what not:
-They say you can only run ~8psi before your engine blows without saying what turbo
-They recommend larger intercoolers even when youre running low psi.
-First thing they talk about is blow off valves and how to get them louder
-They recommend useless stuff like fuel pressure regulators, inline fuel filters, or other random misc crap.
-Tell you to torque down your head bolts harder to prevent head lift

I know there is more, but I havent had breakfast and thats all I could think of.