How To: 6th Gen Improve Radio Reception Quality

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So i finally got fed up with the bad radio quality in my 2000 civic ex. I decided to take the antenna apart to see what all was in there, and this actually worked alot.

What You Will Need:
- Flat Head Screwdriver
- sandpaper (i used 2 sanding pads, 1 course grit and 1 fine grit)
- about 5 mins of time

First start out by taking the 2 screws out that hold the antenna plate on:

Once it is off, slowly and carefully pull the antenna assembly out, im not sure if anything could break doing this, i just went slowly and got it out just enough to work on what i needed to. Get about this much out:

Now, see all that orange crusty stuff? Looks like rust to me. Now its time to grab that sandpaper:

Carefully use the sandpaper to get rid of as much of the corrosion as you can. I used the course grit first to get the bulk of it off, then the fine grit to clean it up:

Ah there we go, looks much better now:

Carefully push the antenna assembly back into the A pillar and put the screws back in. Turn your radio on and see if it made a difference, mine made a big difference, well that is until i turn the hids on :lol: .

Try it out and tell me if it works for you, im curious to see if this happens to most 6th gens.

Heres 2 quick pictures of my dirty car :roll:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:thumbup:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Too bad this dosent work on the sedans w/the antenna is ingergraded into the rear window. :(

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good deal.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
can anyone else confirm it works for them or am the only one lol

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why does HID affect the radio? Is it affecting power or quality? I want HID's but not if its going to interfer w/ my sound system.... can someone clarify?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, I haven't had a problem with my HID's at all.....

cmaylo

5+ Year Member
I think HIDs interfere with radio reception because of the high frequencies associated with the ballast or whatever it is that steps up the voltage to create the arc in the bulb.

pop

5+ Year Member
i cant see the pics and do not know how far to pull it out. I get to some foam stuff and dont want to pull it out any further for fear of breaking something.

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i cant see the pics and do not know how far to pull it out. I get to some foam stuff and dont want to pull it out any further for fear of breaking something.
:word: did the same. pulled it out. saw some foam stuff but I didnt know how far to pullout.didnt see any rust tho. need pics!!!

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Photobucket sucks. Everyone who posts on here , their pics dont work after 2 weeks

Monis98

5+ Year Member
Any updates or pics.... I have a great system, but then my radio sucks... too much static... Help me out guys...

prodigy803

5+ Year Member
New N Improved!!!

When I first bought my 99 EK my radio reception sucked so I went ahead n did my ant delete n it was alil ghetto pretty much took the ant ncut it to the base n shoved it back in now it seems like the whole cars the antenna try it out :] plus it looks way better...