How to remove paint?

legion

digital agent
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 98 Sir front lip - and the paint job has been scratched and cracked and peeled due to my trouble with ramps and dips and what not.

I was thinking of removing the paint and just leaving it flat black. Would that be a good idea?

If yes, then how would I go about removing the paint? I don't have money currently to have it repainted...

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you could wet sand it down using very fine sandpaper, and then spray paint it black primer for now, that would protect it and make it sorta match the car, and then you would just re sand and re prime when your ready to paint it again.

legion

digital agent
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by handlebarsfsr
you could wet sand it down using very fine sandpaper...
I know absolutely nothing about painting, so bear with me =)

What exactly is wet sanding? Is it just as simple as wetting sandpaper and using that?

And how fine of a sandpaper should I use? Aren't there numbers or something?

Thanks!

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wet sanding is exactly what it sounds like- wet sandpaper. the grit you use depends on how much paint you want to remove, and then how smooth you want it to be. i would start with something like a 150 or so to get the majority of paint off, then smooth it down using progressively higher grits until about a 600 or so. the prime it with a few coats of primer, and your all set.

chadster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After you paint it, protect it with 5 Star Shine. We're a sponsor of this site and you'll be impressed with what our product does and how long it will keep your paint clean and protected

www.5starshine.com

get a $20 discount by typing 'vipdiscounts' in the customer code box at checkout.

-Chad N
www.5starshine.com