How to replace core support? (Pics)

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I bought this coupe a few months ago and I got it already "modified" for really cheap. The front end did not line up and to this day, does not line up. I had some spare time to waste today, so I took apart my whole front end to see what the deal was. It looks obvious that they hit something or ran something over because the bottom of the core support is bent in (look at the pics to see what I'm talking about). Also, if you keep looking at my album, you will see the dent in the hood. The dent is from the radiator bracket hitting the hood when the hood is shut. This means the support was raised up about a half inch when the hit something. Now for my REAL question... I know that there are tack welds holding the support to the frame.. are there bolts holding it to the frame as well? And if i drill out the tack welds, can I just bolt the new core support to the frame without having to weld it in again? (i could probably answer my own question once i buy a new core support, but i havent yet)..

check this link for all my pics

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x39/gregbaltazar/

thanks

OH.. one more question.. if you look at my album, you will see that I am missing alot of the windshield trim and the door trim that covers the drivers window seal.. Where can I get these (brand new, no junk yards).. and how much do they cost from the dealer?

2nedhnda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Since I just welded a new front clip onto my 95 EX, I can tell you that you will need to weld the new support in place. You could probably rig it to bolt up, but stuff still wont line up correctly and will be really unsafe in the event of an accident!!!

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I replaced my core support after a rear-ending that left my front back about an inch and a half... I put the new hood on first and the latch loop was a finger's width ahead of the latch itself!

Yeah... not fun. But I bought all the parts and replaced everything. The TAC welds were a b***h cuz I had to hammer all of them out (no torch). And yeah, there are a solid dozen or so bolts to contend with as well. Although I didn't re-weld my support, it's been holding steady for the past two years. I'll get around to it one of these days... once I learn how to weld...

Here's the link to my How-To do it!
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=60033&highlight=radiator+support

Peace and Llove
Eric

Inigo Montoya