How to tell if engine is low compression??

Themegajosh09

I bought my engine used (b18c1) and I was wondering if there is a way of I can tell if the internals have been changed for a turbo (like 9.0:1 compression)... Reason I'm wondering is the guy I bought it from had a lot done to it, I'm finding stuf out about it here and there. Stage 2 clutch being one. Reason I'm wondering is I have beat on it pretty hard at the strip and it's ran smooth and hasn't ever had problems and has seen 9krpms more than a few times (no rev limiter) all the people I know are convinced that it was built and turboed then the turbo was removed before I bought it. (I'm the third or 4th owner of this engine so I didn't have any way of asking the owner)... Any way enough ramble I bassically want to know if I can do anything to see my compression ratio without disassembling the block to check for changed internals??

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do a compression test :what:

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

Themegajosh09

Do a compression test :what:

A compression test doesn't tell the compression ratio. It tells how much psi is putting out per cyl. I'm Wanting to know my ratio like 9.5:1 or 10.5:1. Etc etc...A compression test will be like 190psi or whatnot per cyl. Bassically trying to find outing I have different pistons or rods without taking the head off

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not gonna lie. I didnt read anything besides the thread title...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Unless you have or know someone with x-ray vision, I don't know of any way to see inside to tell if you have different pistons other than tearing it apart. That or find the person/place that built it.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
B18C1

DOHC VTEC
Found in:
1993–2001 USDM Integra GS-R (DC2/DB8)
Displacement: 1,797 cc (109.7 cu in)
Compression: 10:1
Bore: 81 mm (3.2 in)
Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.4 in)
Rod Length: 137.9 mm (5.4 in)
Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.58
Power: 180 hp (134 kW) @ 7600 rpm
Torque: 128 lb·ft (174 N·m) @ 6200 rpm
Redline: 8100 rpm (Fuel cut-off @ 8200 rpm)
VTEC Engagement @ 4500 rpm
IAB (Idle Air Bypass) engagement: 5800 rpm
Transmission: Y80(No LSD) 5-Speed Manual Transaxle

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B18C1

DOHC VTEC
Found in:
1993–2001 USDM Integra GS-R (DC2/DB8)
Displacement: 1,797 cc (109.7 cu in)
Compression: 10:1
Bore: 81 mm (3.2 in)
Stroke: 87.2 mm (3.4 in)
Rod Length: 137.9 mm (5.4 in)
Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.58
Power: 180 hp (134 kW) @ 7600 rpm
Torque: 128 lb·ft (174 N·m) @ 6200 rpm
Redline: 8100 rpm (Fuel cut-off @ 8200 rpm)
VTEC Engagement @ 4500 rpm
IAB (Idle Air Bypass) engagement: 5800 rpm
Transmission: Y80(No LSD) 5-Speed Manual Transaxle
Thank God for Wiki. But I'm pretty sure he knows what the stock compression is. He's asking because he doesn't know if he has different pistons or not. The only way would be to tear it down. That's why I never would buy a built motor from someone else.

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
Thank God for Wiki. But I'm pretty sure he knows what the stock compression is. He's asking because he doesn't know if he has different pistons or not. The only way would be to tear it down. That's why I never would buy a built motor from someone else.
tear down it is :rocker:

Trekk

Registered VIP
If it was built for low compression with a turbo and it has no turbo on it currently it would prolly be pretty slow at the track.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it was built for low compression with a turbo and it has no turbo on it currently it would prolly be pretty slow at the track.
:agreed:

Themegajosh09

Exacty! Ran 15.9 in a ej8 that seems so slow for my time. And I ran it a lot and lianched differently and shifted different. I ran 22 times lol and got consistant 15.9-16.2...

Themegajosh09

^ he's got it right lol, yea Idk of it is built or stock the guy I got it from wasn't very trust worthy an he traded stuff a lot.

Trekk

Registered VIP
I would just tear it down then if you have the time. Something is broke or changed. I could probably beat you in a stock ex (d16)

Themegajosh09

Idk about Beaton me in a stock
Ex, I have beat them, I beat na subarus also lol but there slow, but I'm full time
In college and work almost full time so I won't have time till summer, I was justing thinking my low 1/4 time and high revs with no bad side effects leads me to think its low compression and maybe couple other things. I may actually build it this summer so il find out I guess

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
And for you saying "He's got it" for crash's responce... " He" is a Girl haha!