how to wire vtec

ministylesracin

5+ Year Member
i got a 98 dx hatch with a y8 running a y7 computer. Im trying to find the plugs to plug into the vtec solenoid. but im confused on hooking up the vtec. Any how to's or articles would help.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your D16Y7 Engine Harness, does not have the plugs for VTEC or the Knock Sensor, you need to run the Wires yourself if you want to keep that harness. Your other option is to get an OBD2A 96-98 Civic EX 5-Speed (D16Y8) Engine Harness which already has the wires for the VTEC Solenoid and Knock Sensor on there. Then just change out the Harness and everything will be plug-n-play.

In addition, you need to run an OBD2A 96-98 Civic EX ECU (D16Y8) because your D16Y7 ECU will not engage VTEC. You could also get a OBD2A to OBD1 Jumper Harness and run a OBD1 92-95 Civic EX ECU (which is a P28).

Anyways, if you wish to run the wires yourself and not get the OBD2A 96-98 Civic EX 5-Speed (D16Y8) Engine Harness, here are the steps you need to do:

- Run a Wire from ECU Pin A8 to the VTEC Solenoid
- Run a Wire from ECU Pin C15 to one of the Pins in the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch (Green Plug in VTEC Solenoid)
- Run a Wire from the other Pin in the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch to Ground
- Run a Wire from ECU Pin D6 to the Knock Sensor (Located behind the Block, under Intake Runner 2)

Click here for the Pin Outs of your OBD2A Civic, courtesy of Katman @ ff-squad.

Good luck and keep us posted!

- Danny

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Your D16Y7 Engine Harness, does not have the plugs for VTEC or the Knock Sensor, you need to run the Wires yourself if you want to keep that harness. Your other option is to get an OBD2A 96-98 Civic EX 5-Speed (D16Y8) Engine Harness which already has the wires for the VTEC Solenoid and Knock Sensor on there. Then just change out the Harness and everything will be plug-n-play.

In addition, you need to run an OBD2A 96-98 Civic EX ECU (D16Y8) because your D16Y7 ECU will not engage VTEC. You could also get a OBD2A to OBD1 Jumper Harness and run a OBD1 92-95 Civic EX ECU (which is a P28).

Anyways, if you wish to run the wires yourself and not get the OBD2A 96-98 Civic EX 5-Speed (D16Y8) Engine Harness, here are the steps you need to do:

- Run a Wire from ECU Pin A8 to the VTEC Solenoid
- Run a Wire from ECU Pin C15 to one of the Pins in the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch (Green Plug in VTEC Solenoid)
- Run a Wire from ECU Pin D6 to the Knock Sensor (Located behind the Block, under Intake Runner 2)

Click here for the Pin Outs of your OBD2A Civic, courtesy of Katman @ ff-squad.

- Danny

This post kicks ass. Thanks for the help.

Im doing the same thing, but on a 99-00. I hear that the ECU's are different though.

But you will need the ECU though, keep an eye out on Honda-Tech or something. But wait till I get mine first. :lol:

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Wait, does your post help out the 99-00 owners?

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wait, does your post help out the 99-00 owners?
No that post is for 96-98 only. In your case you need to run an OBD2B 99-00 Civic EX ECU (D16Y8). You could also get an OBD2B to OBD1 Jumper Harness and run a OBD1 92-95 Civic EX ECU (which is a P28).

Also, you will need an OBD2B 99-00 Civic EX 5-Speed (D16Y8) Engine Harness which already has the wires for the VTEC Solenoid and Knock Sensor on there. Then just change out the Harness and everything will be plug-n-play. However, if you want to run the wires yourself here is the list of the steps you need to do:

- Run a Wire from ECU Pin B12 to the VTEC Solenoid
- Run a Wire from ECU Pin C10 to one of the Pins in the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch (Green Plug in VTEC Solenoid)
- Run a Wire from ECU Pin C3 to the Knock Sensor (Located behind the Block, under Intake Runner 2)

Click here for the Pin Outs of your OBD2B Civic, courtesy of Katman @ ff-squad.

- Danny

ministylesracin

5+ Year Member
. I don't have the connectors or plugs from the vtec solenoid and oil pressure and the junk want cut them off anybody want to sell the vtec male connectors hit me up. thanks for the info

gsr85

run vtec wires

here i got is a DA with a 94gsr motor...just wanted to knw where the vtec wires r tap to the ecu...cause im using my OBD0 harness so i have to run the vtec wires...oh yeah its running a P28 ecu...LMK...thanks...