HX 2000: Need advice on buying oxygen sensor and replacing...

JulioS

Hello all,

I got a check engine light. Went to autozone and bought the $65 OBD-2 scanner. Plugged it in and got error code p0135. This means that something is wrong with either the wiring or the actual oxygen sensor itself that goes before the catalytic converter.

My plan of attack is to...
- Simply reset/erase the code using my $65 scanner and see if the problem goes away. If not....

then

- Buy an oxygen sensor and install it myself or with some inexpensive non-dealer mechanic.

So, my questions are.
1. is there a way to figure out the factory version model/part number of the o2 sensor without looking at the underbelly of the car? This is the one I'd like to get. But if not....

2. Is there any specific brand & models that I should go for? Denso, Replacement, Bosch?

3. Is there any specific features I need to look for in a oxygen sensor. I 'm reading about some sensors requiring splicing. To me, that is too hard. I don't know how to splice wire. I just want to screw/unscrew or plug/unplug stuff. I see some titled "universal", some that are way more expensive than others. Take a look at these
a. Amazon denso $71

and

b. Amazon denso $37

From description they look completely identical. What makes up for the price difference?

What do you think is a fair price to have someone take my amazon purchased o2 sensor and install it.
$50 - $100? I'd imagine they have to lift my car up, remove exhaust manifold heat shield, unscrew/unplug old o2 sensor, rescrew/replug new o2 sensor, install shield, etc....Maybe like 1 hour at most of work.

Thanks. I'm based in San Diego.

Last edited:

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
I don't think it really matter as long as it the right o2 sensor and maybe have warrenty to back it up for a while. Changing the o2 sensor is easy all you have to do is go to advance autopart and buy the 02 sensor socket take it home us a drive and attack to it and just take it out, put in the new one plug it up and tak back the o2 socket back to advance autopart as this is for there loan tool program so it really cost you nothing. Hope that help.

tCtCtC

An HX uses a wideband O2 sensor, which is expensive. Honda charges $340 for a replacement (HondaPartsUnlimited.com.) A standard O2 sensor won't work.

For replacing it, disconnect your battery's negative. Unplug the sensor, then unbolt the heat shield. Take out the old sensor using an adjustable wrench (or whatever you have) and screw in the new sensor. Put the heat shield back on, and plug the sensor back in. Reconnect the battery negative, and let the car idle for atleast five minutes. You'll also need to set your radio presets again. If the light doesn't come back within 50 miles (I think) it should be fine.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont go with universal o2 sensors, they are crap
buy it from the dealership so you know it'll work and keep working
you DO know that autozone checks CEL's for free right? and they'll erase it for free too..so there was no need to buy the scanner

they ARE pricey though

to install the sensors, you just have to get an o2 sensor remover and connect it to a socket wrench and turn

JulioS

An HX uses a wideband O2 sensor, which is expensive. Honda charges $340 for a replacement (HondaPartsUnlimited.com.) A standard O2 sensor won't work.

For replacing it, disconnect your battery's negative. Unplug the sensor, then unbolt the heat shield. Take out the old sensor using an adjustable wrench (or whatever you have) and screw in the new sensor. Put the heat shield back on, and plug the sensor back in. Reconnect the battery negative, and let the car idle for atleast five minutes. You'll also need to set your radio presets again. If the light doesn't come back within 50 miles (I think) it should be fine.
You have to be kidding me...I already bought one from Amazon this morning . It was this one(link) specifically.

I searched under my make model year trim and was shown several sensors. That was the one I chose. Cheapest.

Please tell me where you got this information that I need to buy a wideband o2 sensor for my hx. What if I use the one I bought, will this be big detriment to my fuel economy or something that'll do but just isn't ideal?

to all, thanks for all the input so far.

Last edited:

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You have to be kidding me...I already bought one from Amazon this morning . It was this one(link) specifically.

I searched under my make model year trim and was shown several sensors. That was the one I chose. Cheapest.

Please tell me where you got this information that I need to buy a wideband o2 sensor for my hx.

to all, thanks for all the input so far.
if you can cancle it..you should..its probably a 4 wire one which is your secondary..but if it is a 5 wire wide band sensor, try it out and see if it works

here is info on cel codes

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=466877

JulioS

if you can cancle it..you should..its probably a 4 wire one which is your secondary..but if it is a 5 wire wide band sensor, try it out and see if it works

here is info on cel codes

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=466877
I just went to look under the hood of my car. The o2 sensor only has 4 wires(green, white, and 2 black). I'm reading on the internet and it appears that wideband sensors have more wires and use a different connection (look here). Notice the connection has 7 leads. The current one on my car only has 4 leads.

I'll look at those threads you posted.

Last edited:

JulioS

Finally found it!

It appears you only need the wide band sensors for HX models 2001 and upward. 2000 model year was the last year they used the narrowband 4 wire one. Wahoo!

People are also saying that the wide band ones are better because they give more accurae info. For me, I don't care, I just want the CEL to go away and run as well the factory version did.

tCtCtC

Are you sure your looking at the right plug? The primary and secondary plugs are right next to each other. And if you are looking at the right plug, your sure you have a D16Y5? Seems a little iffy to me, I know my 98 HX uses a wideband on the primary.

JulioS

Are you sure your looking at the right plug? The primary and secondary plugs are right next to each other. And if you are looking at the right plug, your sure you have a D16Y5? Seems a little iffy to me, I know my 98 HX uses a wideband on the primary.
I'm like 95% sure I got the right plug. It's outlined in red below. I also have a D16Y5. All 2000 HXs have a D16Y5, right?

tCtCtC

Are you sure you have a 2000? I'm fairly sure HX's didn't come with those style coil packs or an engine cover.

JulioS

Are you sure you have a 2000? I'm fairly sure HX's didn't come with those style coil packs or an engine cover.
Yes, I have a 2000 for sure. That first photo was just one I found on the internet of someone else's HX. When you say "styled coil packs" , I'm assuming you mean those little housing (4 of them). My car doesn't have them either.

19820 008 001 SENSOR, FR. OXYGEN 152.29
$150 bucks? I'm guessing that is "dealer" surcharge price.

RonJ

Banned
Before you buy a new primary O2 sensor, check whether 7.5A dash fuse 15 is blown.

The HX CVT has a 4-wire primary O2 sensor.

Last edited:

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes, I have a 2000 for sure. That first photo was just one I found on the internet of someone else's HX.
My mistake. Learned a bit about the 2001 HX engines in the process, though. =)

JulioS

Before you buy a new primary O2 sensor, check whether 7.5A dash fuse 15 is blown.

The HX has a 4-wire wide band primary O2 sensor.
thanks for the input. I checked, it wasn't blown - no gap in the metal filament.

tCtCtC

My mistake, I looked up the part number again. Didn't realize you had an automatic.
The sensor you ordered should be fine.