HX Rims? Do they really help save gas?...

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been thinking about selling my HX wheels (street value is around 175-250 in my area) and putting my stock 13" steelies back on. I'm trying to "plain jane" my car out a bit (remove tint, remove stereo equipment, etc...). Will I notice a difference in gas mileage? a buddy of mine (has HX wheels as well) claims that he got 2-5 more MPG since he put the HX wheels on his ride; I find this very hard to believe? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd hate to sell my rims only to find out that it was smarter to keep them.

Thanks for any info.

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
if im not mistaken the vx and hx rims i think are the lightest honda rims

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ssr type-c or competitions in 15x7 weigh in at 8 lbs per wheel and hx's are only 11.5 lbs each. Compared to stock 18lb steelies and hubs, thats not bad. Probably wouldn't save as much gas as that guy said. If you throw on some LRR rated tires and some SSR Type C's you might save some money in gas. But im going to call BS on that 2-5 mpgs on a weight savings total of only 26 lbs over stock wheels.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Exactly, I'm all about Dollars and Cents. Let's say I sell my 14" HX wheels for $200 and put the stock 13" put back on. Wouldn't it take years to even recoupe that money?... if so, it only makes sense to sell them and take the money today. I could careless how my car looks at this point (only mechanical functionality is important)

yakobm

from an economical standpoint, you're right in that the sensible thing to do would be to take the money today. $200 today > $200 total savings over a couple years.

i didn't do any math whatsoever in that, just going off your conjecture.