anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
my internet service is provided by my apt complex and we're not allowed to get comcast here. the highest speed available is a paltry 6.0 MBps, and the service itself isn't very reliable either. I've had several connection dropouts in the three years i've lived here. this past month, they introduced a bandwidth usage cap, set at 150GB. i got a letter in the mail today saying my usage was getting up there.

i don't think this is gonna work out very well at all.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol i bet everyone in your complex got one of those. talk to your neighbors and take the issue to management.

you aren't paying for half a month worth of internet after all.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well that's a load of s**t. You have unlimited cell usage? Just tether it

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^That sucks... That's actually become one of the primary things I look at when I move into a new apartment these days... What kind of internet restrictions do they have? If I can't use the internet provider of my choice, then I don't move there.

Definitely sucks though.. Yea, tethering could work.. but 3G is sooo slow.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
6mbps and 150gb/mo is basically DSL service.... which is what I'm switching to from comcast (b/c they blow donkey c0ck)

Even if you had comcast, they cap at 250gb, so you'd be over the limit again :lol:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ouch that sucks Anf :(. I'm glad we have no caps here. I have a 20mb/s connection that seems to be okay.

The only s***ty part is if I'm downloading a really large file (more than 2/3GB) at max download speed, the internet usually drops after like 10-15 minutes. I have to reboot the box and router. Or when my brother or parents are streaming something, the connection drops to s***...basically sucks if more than 1 person is using the internet unless it's light usage, ie - just surfing and no media streaming.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
man that sucks, my apartment complex had similar in the past and I was still able to get it though someone else. I have 50mb at my house =)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
wish we could go with a different provider. the only alternative option is at&t dsl, which costs the same, offers the same shitty speeds, and has the same bandwidth cap. ugh.

this sucks super hard because we're cordcutters and use the internet for entertainment in lieu of cable/satellite. netflix is awesome.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My girlfriend and I are doing the same. We got a Roku HD for the TV and have been streaming constantly... dunno what our usage looks like yet :scurred:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
6mbps and 150gb/mo is basically DSL service.... which is what I'm switching to from comcast (b/c they blow donkey c0ck)

Even if you had comcast, they cap at 250gb, so you'd be over the limit again :lol:
Eh, they say 6mbps... but I don't get anywhere near that on my phone except in the rarest of circumstances.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just finished connecting my DSL 6mbps...

And here is my Comcast 20mbps connection taken 3 minutes after the DSL test:

Cable is literally almost 10x faster! I think i'm going to keep my cable connection and ditch TV and DSL service. $100+ per month is retarted for entertainment

*edit*
Here's cable using 64bit IE browser:

Google Chrome:

And finally, Google Chrome + ASRock XFast LAN utility

Last edited:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ASRock XFast actually boosts speed? It came with my mobo, and I've had it up, but I didn't really know what it did. Interesting...

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
well, with nine days left in the month, we've already hit the 150GB mark... this is after minimizing our network use, lowering netflix quality, etc

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So how do they charge you overage? AT&T charges $10 for every 50GB that you go over, which quite frankly isnt too bad.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thank goodness my ISP gives a 500gig limit for the lower speeds and the speeds I got in my new house has a 750gig cap. It's pretty hard to hit the caps but I did it once on the old one.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What ISP?

Out of curiosity, my bandwidth test at work:

:shock:

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
We have Verizon FiOs at my house. 50mb Down, 25mb Up. I downloaded 6gb in about an hour the other day. Friggin crazy. Thankfully, we have no caps, cause we download EVERYTHING, and stream movies more than anything (netflix, media server etc.).

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have never heard of it. Is it wire based, or over the air?

*edit*
I guess I could google it :lol:

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have never heard of it. Is it wire based, or over the air?

*edit*
I guess I could google it :lol:
FiOs is Verizon's Fiber Optic internet service. Ridiculously fast speeds, and it's just a bit more than DSL. I think it's really only being pushed here on the West Coast at the moment. Also, Google is working on an internet service that will be 1gb up/1gb down CONSTANT. Insane. It's also rumored to start at $60/mo