I get CEL after installing High Flow Cat

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok I have an '00 EX Coupe Auto with AEM SRI and Apex'i WS2 catback exhasut. Last week I replaced my stock cat with an OBX High Flow cat and yesterday the CEL came on while I was driving home from work. I jacked up the car and everything looked good, so what could the problem be?

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its obvoiusly throwing a code because of the cat you installed. The computer notices that there is a differrence in air/fuel, in the cat, which may not be in between the min and max allowable.

Check to see what code its throwing and search for in online.

Last edited:

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How can I get around having the CEL go on? I want to keep the High Flow cat but don't want the CEL to stay on is there anything I can do to trick the computer or something?

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TripeoXxX said:
How can I get around having the CEL go on? I want to keep the High Flow cat but don't want the CEL to stay on is there anything I can do to trick the computer or something?
reset the ecu...disconect your battery for 10 sec i think then put it back again....see if that works.

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did that last night and it worked and the CEL went away, but then when I was driving back home from work tonight it came back on. But I guess I'll have to be doing that untill I find a permanent fix.

2000SIR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TripeoXxX said:
I had the same problem but just lately the light went off dont know how but it did. If you want to fix the problem you will have to get a o2 simulator or do the spark plug fouler mod.

wdwalker

only blown the intake air
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can use a resistor in the circuit that goes to the o2 sensor to fake a good o2 sensor reading. its not a great idea though since your ecu uses your o2 sensor's values to modify fuel tables when running in closed loop. it'd be like basically running in closed loop and open loop all the time, only you're closed loop would have different settings than open loop lol (all u pgmfi geeks will know what i'm talkin bout) :D

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TripeoXxX said:
would using an O2 sim effect the performance?
Find the code first to see what your problems is...

wdwalker

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not if done right, and you'll only be in closed loop under about 20% throttle and when your car is cold. so the o2 sensor would only give fake values under those conditions. but u'd want to make sure u give it a value close to what it would actually sense or else you might run rich/lean, depending on temp and other conditions.

wdwalker

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol let me know if i'm talking over your head, i'm running a self-tuned standalone system called uberdata on my car to control fuel maps for the turbo so i've just started to learn some of the honda ecu stuff. i'm way far from being a self-proclaimed "expert", but i know enough to help people out.

wdwalker

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b4 u decide to do that, go jumper your ecu to make sure that's the code u'r throwing. just complete the circuit on the lil diagnostic port thing and see how many times the CEL lights up.

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aight I'll do that, thanks for all your help fellas, greatly appreciate it.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the problem is that you bought a crappy cat. that's what happens when you buy a crappy cat. put your stock cat back on or get a better brand cat. sooner or later the obx cat is going to kill your o2 sensor.

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
true, I was thinking of that too. I'll prob ebay it and just get a car sound cat. Whare's a good place to get it?

wdwalker

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not gonna be runnin a cat (however i am turboin so that'll get rid of all the ratty noise u'd have in a n/a catless, but a nice magnaflow resonator would take care of that). shifty35 off of turbod16 was telling me he passed the carb testing w/ a turbo d16, no cat, just a test pipe with a cat heat shield on it. add in almost 30hp gains w/ no cat, and he sold me on the test pipe idea.