I want an AEM CAI but...

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 1994 Civic and I'm looking into getting an AEM cold air intake, but I'm not using the car for racing. It's just for me. I am wanting to know if it's worth it for me to get this? Does it truly help the cars' performance? I'm still in the process of learning about these different parts. Thanks in advance.

Kristina

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
dont waste the money on an AEM

got to ebay and pick up a replica for $30 or so.....

does it help performance? not really.... it'll be a little louder, but your car wont be any faster persay

and my sis's name is Kristina as well... you're one of 2 other people i've ever seen spell it that way

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you might get an extra hp or two, mostly it looks cool in the engine bay and it sounds nice, i dont really think its worth it, although i also have an aem cai, i got mine used for under $100, so try to find a deal

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kristina....think of the CAI like this. if you had the choice of either breathing through 1/3" pipe or a 2" pipe, which one would you prefer. the 2" coz you can breathe easily. same is with your car. the CAI give more air to the engine compared to the stock. i don't race, and i have the CAI i certainly like it. now that i know what a differance it makes, i would not go without it.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You'll like an intake... but it won't make you WAY faster or anything like that.

Go on ebay and find yourself a nice cheap cold air intake or short ram intake. they'll work about equally as well.

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. I appreciate it. Now I can save myself $200 or so. I can use that for springs.

guwakjai010

Dr Tai tai
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a AEM cai for my car. got it used for a really cheap price from someone on CC. nice guy but anyway... its not a big difference if there is any... just sound which i like but i can't hearit inside my car unless i go up high on the rpm. outside it sounds ok. but u should just get some cai pipes and buy a nice filter or something.

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ebay lady... fo sho.. dont spend the money.

jokenfu21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civichick said:
I have a 1994 Civic and I'm looking into getting an AEM cold air intake, but I'm not using the car for racing. It's just for me. I am wanting to know if it's worth it for me to get this? Does it truly help the cars' performance? I'm still in the process of learning about these different parts. Thanks in advance.

Kristina
CosmoRacing.Com works wonders for me...go check it out. $80 and looks almost exactly like AEM...

EricDaReDD

Dedicated2myDxHatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd say just go with a short ram. there's honestly do difference performance-wise between the two, especially if you're just doing everyday driving. But I will say that the intake makes driving a little more fun... the hum is worth the price :-)

ebay, like everyone else said.

Peace and Llove
Eric

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you do get an air intake, you should definately consider getting a better intake manifold and exhaust system. It would be pointless to have a nice air intake with a stock manifold / exhaust, plus, performance wise, it would just stink. On my car, I picked up an Injen Cyborg short intake for $130. Brand new. You dont have to always go with name brand to get a nice looking engine bay. You always could do what the other guys said and pick up a generic silver intake, buy some AEM stickers, and get an AEM filter. That might run you 40 - $60 with the stickers.

DEVIN EM1

20D WHORE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cant go wrong with Comptech. Sounded amazing on my Integra. Little pricey though for just an intake : \

ikillradio

depends on emissions peeps in CA like the CARB legal intakes, (injen, aem) but if you don't have any regulations go ebay.

Inigo Montoya said:
this thread should be locked..
and why is that?

Mister_Perkins said:
If you do get an air intake, you should definately consider getting a better intake manifold and exhaust system. It would be pointless to have a nice air intake with a stock manifold / exhaust, plus, performance wise, it would just stink. On my car, I picked up an Injen Cyborg short intake for $130. Brand new.
im glad you took out that part about the stickers :lol:
but shes not looking for race status, so she'll be happy with just an intake

Mister_Perkins

Team Honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ikillradio said:
im glad you took out that part about the stickers :lol:
but shes not looking for race status, so she'll be happy with just an intake
She might not be looking for a race status, but if you have a generic intake, people think that your cheap.

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mister_Perkins said:
She might not be looking for a race status, but if you have a generic intake, people think that your cheap.
Lets get your car to all one color, and none of the colors being primer and THEN you can talk about cheap =)

get 'yer s**t fixed all at once!!!

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
and no... by al means DO NOT get an aftermarket intake manifold if all you have is an intake and exhaust.... you'd be wasting your money

Inigo Montoya