Ignition fuse blows on start, any ideas?

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ran into a guy tonight in need of some help. It's a 97 Civic coupe with 97 GSR swap. He said he was just driving normally around 20mph and the car just sputtered and shut off.

After looking at it with a couple other guys, every time we go to put it in the "On" position (not full crank), it blows the ECU fuse.

His buddy on the phone said the ECU is fried, but my buddy is saying there's a wiring problem somewhere.

There was some mention about possibly being the SAFC and how it was wired, but he said he's had this swap for 7yrs pretty much just like that and never had a problem.

Anyways, we're going to look at it tomorrow, and I was wondering if any of you have any ideas/suggestions as to help this guy and his wife out.

They're visiting town from Orlando, and are already $85 in the hole for towing fees (wanted to have it flatbedded to his hotel) and hopefully it doesn't have to get any more expensive than that as they both seem pretty cool + that's a long ways from home to be stuck w/o a car (and according to him, she has a murdered-out S2k :lol: :drool:)

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would check the underhood ELD fuse too. that may have popped causing an electric overload or somthing. who knows?

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check the ecu wires. it might be grounding out. or you could check under the ignition switch and follow wires.

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
deffinately check for bare wires touching metal. i had problems like that too.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sounds like its a short. trace the wires very carefully. Things just don't happen without a cause.