Ignition Switch Rod

shark13

Hello,
I have a 2005 Honda Civic, VP model. My ignition switch went bad and would not turn. I removed the switch from the car, but because I needed the vehicle the next day and could not wait for a new ignition switch by mail, I just used a screwdriver driver to turn the ignition (while holding the key in the immobilizer) and start the car. I've been doing this for a few weeks and now I am ready to reinstall the new ignition.

My question is about the rod that sticks out beyond the body of the the ignition switch. What is the purpose of the rod and do I need to make sure I align the rod with something in the steering column to work properly? I guess I wonder its purpose considering I've been driving around without the rod inserted for the last few weeks.

Thanks

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Can you take a picture of what you are talking about. I have the service manual and am attempting to identify what you are referencing.

shark13

Thank you for the reply. Here is an image of what I am referring to. The portion with the red square around it is the rod I am referring to.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If I am not mistaken that is part of the steering interlock. Should be the level that unlocks the steering when its locked after the ignition is turned off. Without that, the steering may not lock or come unlocked.

shark13

Thank you. I checked my vehicle and I am able to move the steering wheel back and forth, so clearly it is not locking. I'm not sure how I align the rod so the steering column locks. I'll have to dig around to find out how.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I have honestly never taken the lock cylinder out of a Honda surprisingly enough. Only did it one my entire life and that was back in school over nearly 20 years ago.