Install time for lower control arm.

hondagriff

Banned
I really want my new suspension on. Since I've dropped some change on this crap I figured on having a cert. mechanic install it so I don't hafta worry bout voiding warranty. Guy gives me an estimate of 800. Says that just the lower control arms are posted for 4hrs of labor. How can it be that long. Thinking of doing it myself and crawling back for alignment. Where can I find the socket for those bolts. Honda Dealer?

02hondaEx

k20a
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it does not take 4 hrs to do control arms

BillyB98

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I really want my new suspension on. Since I've dropped some change on this crap I figured on having a cert. mechanic install it so I don't hafta worry bout voiding warranty. Guy gives me an estimate of 800. Says that just the lower control arms are posted for 4hrs of labor. How can it be that long. Thinking of doing it myself and crawling back for alignment. Where can I find the socket for those bolts. Honda Dealer?
what socket are you talking about? I took mine off for shits a while back w/ normal sockets i had sitting in my toolbox.

hondagriff

Banned
That's what I told the guy. It's a few bolts. Bang Boom Done. Then he said that the rear seat would need to be removed to get to the rear towers. I walked out after that.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the socket you need is damn near impossible to find. i called snap-on to get it and they wanted around 60 just for the socket so i said screw it and went to sears. they have the bolt removers for stripped heads find the one that fits the bolts and hammer it on and it comes right off. the new lca's should come with new bolts to replace the old ones or at least mine did. total time to do lca's is about an hour. its 8 bolts.

heres my write up this may help. its gives exact size of tools needed.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=109160

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how is that stripped bolt remover? does it really work? i need one of those -___-

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow....if you go for that...you'll be ripped a new one.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it works great you hit it on with a hammer and take off with a wrench, i use it for all problem bolts definatley one of the best tools ive bought. keep in mind you need new bolts to replace it with. my lca's came with new bolts that have a standard hex head on them. if they dont come with new bolts you should be able to find new ones at a machine shop or hardware store, just make sure they are grade 8 bolts.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
icic, i hate having stripped bolts, and its usually caused by my own sockets :( i needa go return them and get some new ones at napa.

hondagriff

Banned
Hey, I found the socket. Speedway tuner choice carries it and it's only 12 bucks. My kit also came with replacement hex bolts but just incase I need to go back stock I want to salvage the oem ones.

hondagriff

Banned
BTW, Nyghyryder. How deep do you go with the struts if ya want a 2" drop. I've got the same coils setting in the shop right now and was wondering how many threads should show at the base.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
When i went to put my rear lower tie bar on, if i remember correctly, i used a 9/16 socket.....unless you guys are talking about the 6 bolts on the outer portion of the LCA?? I was thinking of doing my LCA's soon so id like to know.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When i went to put my rear lower tie bar on, if i remember correctly, i used a 9/16 socket.....unless you guys are talking about the 6 bolts on the outer portion of the LCA?? I was thinking of doing my LCA's soon so id like to know.
yea were talking about the outer 6 they have a unusual pattern to them. when i called honda they couldnt even help me with them. one dealer told me that when they remove them they replace them with standard bolts, i couldnt believe it. look at the link i posted above it should help, if not let me know what else i can help you with.

hondagriff:

for a 2" drop i believe its about an 1" to 1.5" that will show through the bottom. its been awhile sorry, and im not in the same country as my car right now.

cleansleep37

t3EJ8
just did mine

just did my control arms and the socket was a basic sz 14. Am I missing something? it came out piece of cake, made the swap in under an hour on each side taking my sweet old time.