Installing new distributor, have a couple questions

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just ordered a new distributor and will be installing it in a few days. I was looking through my chilton manual and it said that I have to take a ratchet and move the crank shaft to TDC. :?: I though that I just removed the old distributor and put the new one in (just had to make sure the lug matched up).

Also I will have to jump the service connector correct (little plug with the black and brown wires)? When I jump this will I have to do it after the engine is at operating thep or can I just do it first and then warm my car up? Will my CEL come on once jumped and will it go away after I turn off my car and restart?

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need to hook up a timing light. Hook up positive to positive and negative to negative. place the inductive lead around the cylinder number one spark plug wire. point the light at the timing mark on the upper timing cover. rotate the distributor until the red mark in between two white marks appears inside the pointer on the cover. tighten down distributor

1993DX

For the TDC question, just follow what the manual says.. Unless someone else knows otherwise.

You can jump the svc connector at anytime. When jumped, and the key is in the ON position or the engine is running it'll will tell you any error codes there may be, but if you don't have a CEL regularly it should go away once the jumper wire is removed.

You need to hook up a timing light. Hook up positive to positive and negative to negative. place the inductive lead around the cylinder number one spark plug wire. point the light at the timing mark on the upper timing cover. rotate the distributor until the red mark in between two white marks appears inside the pointer on the cover. tighten down distributor
And this is the procedure you'll use to set the timing after the distributor is installed.

RonJ

Banned
For the TDC question, just follow what the manual says.. Unless someone else knows otherwise.

There's no need to bring the engine to TDC1.

You can jump the svc connector at anytime. When jumped, and the key is in the ON position or the engine is running it'll will tell you any error codes there may be, but if you don't have a CEL regularly it should go away once the jumper wire is removed.

The ECU is prevented from adjusting the ignition timing when the service connector is jumped, so first warm the engine up fully and then jump the connector to adjust the timing.