Installing Skunk2 Coilovers *help*

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok so I have an extra set im throwing on my "new" 97 civic ex. The Si, is in the shop so I can't use it for reference and I've searched everywhere. Anyways, the coilovers (not full) come with like 20 rubber o-rings in a bag in addition to the spring, etc. anybody have any idea what the o-rings are for?

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shane lives? o.O

***edited***

bwahahahahahaha

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hahahaha thats my friend Chris's ass while he was pissing one night. He didn't want it online so i added it =) Now answer my question b***h, so I can post pictures of the new civic slammed tomorrow!

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got pics of the rings? i've never done coilover sleeves, so I dunno....

Have you referenced Skunk2's website?

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jezek said:
Got pics of the rings? i've never done coilover sleeves, so I dunno....

Have you referenced Skunk2's website?
havnt asked the people yet... here's a pic. let me know

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats what keeps the sleeve tight on the strut so there isn't any slop and YES you need them, same thing came w/ my ground control, and you want them to be SNUG!!

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
thats what keeps the sleeve tight on the strut so there isn't any slop and YES you need them, same thing came w/ my ground control, and you want them to be SNUG!!
You mean like left and right play between the sleeve and the strut?

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
so are the skinny ones just like another size for another application? i should probably just go with the thicker ones first and see if they keep it nice and snug. i might give it a shot right now. other than that they came with two gold rings but im sure i can find out where they go

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jezek said:
You mean like left and right play between the sleeve and the strut?
correct ;) if you just simply throw the sleeve on it will actually wiggle back and forth so those keep them tight so you don't have to worrry about that (and ground controls are urethane)

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha yeah man use the rings to put in between the sleeve perch and the shock. make sure you use two.. The best way to keep them on with out rollng down the rings when installing the sleeve is to tape them with masking tape all around

that will let the sleeve slide down tightly over the o rings without moving the o rings down =)

where you been yo, ever since you went turbo it was less and less, and the when you blew the motor it was none :shock:

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
correct ;) if you just simply throw the sleeve on it will actually wiggle back and forth so those keep them tight so you don't have to worrry about that (and ground controls are urethane)
sick sick sick, that explains it all. and before i have to go testing things, any idea on the two gold rings that came with it. about the same size as those bigger o-rings but metal with a little lip on them. looks like they might sit on top of something

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EM1_ProJect said:
sick sick sick, that explains it all. and before i have to go testing things, any idea on the two gold rings that came with it. about the same size as those bigger o-rings but metal with a little lip on them. looks like they might sit on top of something
it goes on the bottom... closest to the shock perch

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
haha yeah man use the rings to put in between the sleeve perch and the shock. make sure you use two.. The best way to keep them on with out rollng down the rings when installing the sleeve is to tape them with masking tape all around

that will let the sleeve slide down tightly over the o rings without moving the o rings down =)

where you been yo, ever since you went turbo it was less and less, and the when you blew the motor it was none :shock:
yeah i know guys, i dunno what happened. went over to turbo websites and then i was doing most turbo s**t myself and blowing up motors so i didnt need much forum help. and you know, myspace takes up all my online time ;) but ill be around now im sure. i gotta fix up this new coupe =)

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:

yeah i know guys, i dunno what happened. went over to turbo websites and then i was doing most turbo s**t myself and blowing up motors so i didnt need much forum help. and you know, myspace takes up all my online time ;) but ill be around now im sure. i gotta fix up this new coupe =)

but im gonna go give this coilover thing a shot. ill be back and forth soon! checkc back

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ lol...look at the n00b double posting :lol:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
EM1_ProJect said:
they are adapter rings for the Koni shocks im sure. i had to order some bc mine didnt come with them. and i wanna say u only need them on the back if i remember correctly.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i dont have Koni shocks...running stock right now, until i sell the car. Anyways, i got the two front coilovers on this evening and it's SLAMMED to the floor, but the back is still super (stock) high so i'll work on that tomorrow before work if i have time. =)=) pics in the daytime?

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so i was working on the back today, got the shocks off on both rear sides. what's the best way to get the 14mm bolt loost to remove the stock springs from the shock? the front ones were a b***h because the whole pump spins inside the coil so you cant really hold it, but I eventually got it. is there an easier way so it doesnt shoooot everything everywhere, without a spring compressor? or any way to even hold it so the 14mm bolt will spin without spinning the whole pump? took a break until i have an extra set of hands anyways so...take your time

*EDIT* GOT THE REAR SUSPENSION DONE =)

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
post some pics man.