Interior change up...EM1

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
**LONG POST WARNING**
So I have these "A" and "B/C" pillars with black tweed over them from back in 2005. They were supposed to go on my FBP when it came out of the shop for the 2005 show season. The entire upper interior was wrapped in black tweed and the lower was done in blue/black tweed. I had picked it all from my interior guy and then I had to go out to sea for the Navy. It came out great and I was a week from putting it in the car. When I got back from being at sea for a week the car was supposed to be ready for reassembly at the body shop and I was going to start putting the interior back into the car. As I headed to my beater after getting off the ship I saw that I had a message from the body shop and they needed me to call. Just figuring that the car wasn’t as far as we had hoped I called. Turns out that the care had been stripped of all the turbo set up, head, rims, even the c/f hood that they had to break to get into the bay...it was bad. *No the shop was not connected to this...they are like family and the sponsored the car* Anyway...since 2005 that car and all of the stuff has been sitting. I was lucky enough to find a house with a killer garage and have just stored the car. I knew the interior wouldn’t look right in the EBP and I wasn’t really into the full tweed interior anymore. But I have wondered how the pillars would look. I have been considering painting the interior panels black but just cannot bring myself to do it.

So Sat about 4pm the wife wants to take a nap. I said that’s cool, I am going to the garage for a little while. I will come back in in about an hour to see what we are going to do. I go up in the garage attic and pull out the black tweed "A" "B/C" pillars and mock them up in the car to get an idea what they would look like. *Bumper is not going on the car, just stored in the attic*

Of course you can never get a good idea unless you actually put it together. So by 5pm this is what I have...

So then I get to thinking...I have this much taken apart I may as well put the c/f headliner in that has been sitting around since 2004. It was meant for the FBP but there are no plans to bring it back to life so it was going in the EBP anyway. (Pic of c/f headliner on pg2) It’s lucky for us sunroof guys that we have to drop the entire unit to get the sunshade out.

So by 530pm that night here is what my car looked like...And it was in for the night.

Sunday before Church I pop in the c/f sunshade and hang the sunroof unit back in the car and get the headliner secure enough to be left for the day. Only 1.5hrs of work done on Sunday.

Now there is no passenger handle, driver side garment hook, or front map light as the headliner was not cut for them. When I ordered the headliner I was not able to get a 99-00 as they only had a 96-98 in stock. I still have a dome light so I didn’t really care...I can always cut in the map light if I feel the need for one. The other parts that are light grey are being painted black to blend in with the headliner. I have to decide on what to do about the visors though...ugh. So here is where it stands today with the tweed wrapped pillars. Why paint them black when I can see them this way. If I don’t like it I have my stockers handy and can paint them if I don’t like the tweed.

The rag is there to prevent the sunshade from being damaged by the sunroof frame until the dressing is put back in place.

Now seeing that I have all of this torn apart one would think that it is a great time to replace the carpet. Just so happens that I have new carpet that I have been putting off installing. I also had purchased some JDM DB8 4dr ITR rear seats. I am sure many have heard the rumor that they “drop in” in the back of a coupe. Well I am here to tell you that they do not. This is why they have been sitting in my garage since spring 2006. You can see that the bottom of the DB8’s are cut different enough to not fit right. The metal loop brackets that snap/screw into place do not line up. The uppers are a solid back rather than a split back…not a big deal really. But you will also notice that they are a lot wider…but what should you expect coming out of a 4dr. Nothing lines up or fits on the uppers without doing some serious cutting to the interior parts. I am just going to take them to my upholstery guy and have him look at them. Depending on what he says I may remove the material and have the coupe seats recovered with the DB8 material.

And I have had these harnesses forever as well. They are 3 points w/ a release in the back. I mounted the rear section and will mount the harness section when I put the interior back together. Not sure if they will stay but they do not look to bad laying on a non racing seat.

And after an inconsistent work week later and several hours of work its mostly back together. I haven't put the back seat in yet as I may get out to the upholstery shop next week to get a quote on material swapping from the DB8 to the EM1 rears. Here are the pics from the interior change up.

The parts that were in the way...

Carpet out!

Floor pan...yes I cleaned the crap out of it before putting carpet and plastic parts back in.

Fitting and cutting in the new carpet

Back together!

Super sweet EbayDM black CTR 5 piece mat set...pulled off the badges because they are fake and I dont own a CTR.

And the CF headliner with all black parts rather than the light gray. The sunroof dressing isnt popped out anymore its all worked into place and it is black as well. I need to touch up the black though. And the Visors are in but will come out as I am going to dye them black to match.

With the sunshade drawn...

PLEASE give opinions on the tweed pillars!!! Not sure if they will stay but they do kinda flow as the ITR seats have the softer tweed centers. The door panel armrests will be black tweed covered as well. Not going with the CTR set up since everything is black with red stitch. As always, thanks for looking and stating your opinions!

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice work. Don't know how I feel about the carbon head liner.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
very nice bro!

I want to get black carpet for mine.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k i think it looks f**king good..
throw that bumper on there... see what it looks like..

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looks real nice mang

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like tweed. lol good to hear that the bumper is staying put.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i like it. if you could do the rest of the panels in tweed or atleast paint um black it would look amazing

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hope you dont get baked during the summer @___@. Thats a lot of black lol.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn. U did all that in minor hrs?! geez. it would take me a whole day to do all that haha.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ no it took some time. the headliner and all was only a few hours but from start to finish of it all i would say maybe 14hrs of work time.

thanks for all of the feedback! the headliner is love or hate really. mostly i have gotten a good response from it. as for going all tweed on the panels i havent decided yet...not sure if it would be to much. i do have the full dash set up and rear deck. the rear panels, doors and kick panels are blue or blue/black from the old school build back in the day. we will see...and yeah, the bumper is staying off of the car.

Kazan

NYGaleCCo
5+ Year Member
thats really nice, nice work man, soon ima change my carpet as well, this winter f**ked my carpet so bad :(