Intro - buffalo ny

tr1pl3

red cardnal
I want to have an engine swap done so I'm saving up but I've been hearing a lot of debate between a b20 and the k series but I'm a fan of the b16. I'm not sure which one I'm heading for but I know I can get a b20 off of a guy with a port polish but never knew what that exactly would bring different to the table, but other than that if I kept what I have (d16z6) "supposedly". I'll just modify it the typical way. New headers already have a short air intake and then new cat exhaust and stuff along those lines.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea got alil happy like an a** hole
Wut?

I want to have an engine swap done so I'm saving up but I've been hearing a lot of debate between a b20 and the k series but I'm a fan of the b16. I'm not sure which one I'm heading for but I know I can get a b20 off of a guy with a port polish but never knew what that exactly would bring different to the table, but other than that if I kept what I have (d16z6) "supposedly". I'll just modify it the typical way. New header already have a short air intake and then new cat exhaust and stuff along those lines.
Fixed.

B20s are becoming more popular. Especially B20Vtecs. They're a lot of fun to drive and are pretty straightforward, as well as B16s. K series are very popular but there is some adjusting that comes with it, and it's pretty pricey. Just research and read about other peoples swap stories and you'll eventually figure out what you want to do! =)

tr1pl3

red cardnal
OK thanks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
+1 for b20/vtec. For the amount of money you could spend on a b16 swap you could spend on a more custom setup and get alot more power.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
J35 or go home!! :lol:

I've had many a b-series in my day. B16 was peppy and revved like a mofo but had no torque. B20-vtec had a good bit more torque but lacked the top end redline and reliability (popped after 20K miles). LS/VTEC was a really good motor. Had more lower end torque than b16 and was able to handle more power than b20 so it was more reliable.

your d16 has some potential if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and getting into the turbo game

Last edited:

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That thing looks ready to fly with the wing lol. Welcome, I say B20/v for the win unless u got enough cash for the K. You'll probably be dissapointed with the torque from the B16 but then again they love to rev. Just research it up and most importantly find ur budget

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I say if you go k go with k24 build for the torque aspect or k20/24. If go b20 you still have the torque their just not as much power but if you spend same amount of money on b20 swap that you would on a k swap you should have a decent b20. You could build the d and do the right thing and turbo it. If you are going to question what you need for turbo their are plenty of places on here that you can search and find probably for any swap. I would really hate for you to go b16 unless you really just want to rev to hell and back without the torque. Good luck with your plans and lets see some more pics

tr1pl3

red cardnal
Great info I read up a lot on k series as well but I knew it was sooo expensive. But imma consider and compare. Thanks for the input.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
K-Series are getting less expensive as they're becoming more popular. It's still a lot of money but not as much as it used to be. Plus the work to swap them in is less now. Whereas you used to have to cut and weld (as far as I know) back in the day, now there are mounts that eliminate that process and make it pretty much a bolt-in process.

If you can afford it, I would say go for a K. If you can't, a B20VTEC or even an LS/VTEC still make great power.