Just Another Build Thread, My 99' MR EM1

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The yonaka is awesome. Even comes with the fan already mounted and not with dumbass zipties.

Flopez76

Thanks for all the comments guys! More progress was made, not much but still cleaning up the bay.

First thing I decided to do was take a look at my windows, because my driver window was off the rail (like usual) and my passenger window didn't even move.

I just got off work, it was 3:00am and I was bored, so I decided to work on the Civic

Got the door panel off, and began the fix;

Went to the local parts store and picked up some silcone spray to lube up the rails. And presto! My drivers window was back on the railing and moving smoothly

Started working on my passenger window and once I got the panel off, I saw that there was a piece of wood holding the window up, removed the wood and the window came crashing down :angry: but I caught it =)) so I proped the window back up and found this llittle gear looking thing in the door? Could this be the reason the window just falls? Everything is hooked up and if I push the window switch I hear the motor turning?

Couple days later I got a package in the mail...

Ebay radiator, I know I should've just saved the money for a Yonaka or Mishimoto one, but I got impatient :D

It's not bad or anything, not warped, bent, or anything like that. So I'd say it was a well spent $60

Before;

Here's where the coolant tank is located, and also notice how it's the wrong coolant tank, I realized this AFTER I got back from the junk-yard :angry:

Random ass plate held in by self-tapering screws? I swear the PO went crazy with these screws! They're literally everywhere!

Gone, it was also held down by that black crap

Draining the old Integra radiator

Old mounting brackets next the the original ones

Old radiator out, and also put in a condesor fan that I had from an old Civic

New radiator in! Couldn't put the radiator stay on because the bushing/rubber thing was so old and weathered that I didn't even hold, so I'm going to be ordering a new one from Honda soon. Also as I said before, the coolant tank didn't fit because it was too wide, so until I order a new one. The old one had to go back in

While I was working on the car I decided to take care of my surging idle problem and pull of the IACV and clean it and also clean the TB

So here's the after, everything put back together and it looks a lot cleaner in my opinion! Now on my list for the engine bay, is relocate the battery into the passenger fender and also wire tuck the headlight harnesses into the fenders! And seeing as how this would be my first time doing any of this I will need to practice soldering =))
Oh and wash this thing out with some Simple Green!

But of course nothing goes as planned. Had everything together and went to start the car and bleed the coolant... and it wouldn't start... So I began the diagnostics steps ha, checked for spark, fuel, and all that good stuff and everything turned out alright. Realized I had the TPS and MAP sensor plugs switched, fixed it and started the car. Ran horrible! Would stall every time, I had a CEL, and the car was in limp mode. Pulled the code, with the paper clip method and got a code 14 (IACV), pulled the IACV ran 12v to the connector and the valved opened. So it was working, took a look at the plug and saw the one of the wires had got cut taped it back up and viola! I had a running car again! It was a pain! All the things I checked and it was just a simple thing llike that haha Oh also I pulled all the fuses while checking the problem and saw that my low beam fuse, popped. Replaced and now I have working low beams :D

Again, nothing special and sorry for wasting your precious time :D

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't need to cut or solder any wires to tuck the headlight harnesses unless you get lazy

vteckid21

nice car man keep them coming, as far as the motor, if you have a true JDM B18C be lucky, and keep in clean!! hella jelous of that man, i was going to do a b18c swap in mine then realized how much they are even used, not cheap at all!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A sir-g jdm b18c isnt that expensive. The ITR b18c is.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ahhh i see. I told reed he disnt have to extrns as well lol. Its a little more time and careful routing but it cab be done. Neither way is than the other anyway.
Lol yeah I got lazy, but as kerry said, it can be done without soldering. When I get home for winter break, I'm going to be redoing that wiring and I'll update that thread. So if you can wait a month, I'll have a more comprehensive DIY up.

Car is looking good so far man, keep it up!

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow you work fast. Putting in that work to get her clean.

Flopez76

nice car man keep them coming, as far as the motor, if you have a true JDM B18C be lucky, and keep in clean!! hella jelous of that man, i was going to do a b18c swap in mine then realized how much they are even used, not cheap at all!
Thanks!

Lol yeah I got lazy, but as kerry said, it can be done without soldering. When I get home for winter break, I'm going to be redoing that wiring and I'll update that thread. So if you can wait a month, I'll have a more comprehensive DIY up.

Car is looking good so far man, keep it up!
Is that a promise? Ha Nah, just kidding. But that would be around the time I'd start the tuck, so I can hold out until then. But would would I have to do differently than you did in the DIY? Just be more careful with the way I route the harness? Or forget it, I'll just wait ha or do it like you did already.

But... while you're re-doing it you should make it DIY for relocating the fuse-box... and the battery... and the fuel line... and the clutch line... Ha Just kidding again, there's plenty already out there, but you should if you want! :D You seem to have the best directions that I've seen so far.

Oh and thanks!

Wow you work fast. Putting in that work to get her clean.
Thanks man! And I just get bored and working on my car, relieves me of my boredom.

freshasfck

vtakkk
Registered VIP
Hey bro! Sorry I just saw your private message! Im guessing you've figured things out for the headlight tuck. Best of luck to you.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is that a promise? Ha Nah, just kidding. But that would be around the time I'd start the tuck, so I can hold out until then. But would would I have to do differently than you did in the DIY? Just be more careful with the way I route the harness? Or forget it, I'll just wait ha or do it like you did already.

But... while you're re-doing it you should make it DIY for relocating the fuse-box... and the battery... and the fuel line... and the clutch line... Ha Just kidding again, there's plenty already out there, but you should if you want! :D You seem to have the best directions that I've seen so far.

Oh and thanks!
Sorry it's been so long. i couldn't find this thread haha. Thanks for the compliment, I tried to make it easy to follow because when I was looking how to do it, I could not find a clear DIY. I plan to do one that will show you exactly what you need to do to tuck the headlight harness without soldering in a week or two. As far as the fuse box, battery, and fuel line, I don't plan to tuck those. The fuse box is easy though and I'll show that in my updated DIY. The clutch line is easy too, just buy a braided clutch line. and it will replace the hard/soft line. I got mine from Rywire. As far as other DIYs go, I plan to make one for making a "tucked" engine harness in the near future.

Hope this helps.

Flopez76

That's a nice car even though previous owner went ghetto with it.
Yeah, that's my same thoughts. But it' in good hands now.

Hey bro! Sorry I just saw your private message! Im guessing you've figured things out for the headlight tuck. Best of luck to you.
Yeah man, I got it but thanks!

Just read through this, nice work, alays good to see someone clean up a car and take care of problems first.
Thanks man!

Next post below, and thanks for your interest!

Sorry it's been so long. i couldn't find this thread haha. Thanks for the compliment, I tried to make it easy to follow because when I was looking how to do it, I could not find a clear DIY. I plan to do one that will show you exactly what you need to do to tuck the headlight harness without soldering in a week or two. As far as the fuse box, battery, and fuel line, I don't plan to tuck those. The fuse box is easy though and I'll show that in my updated DIY. The clutch line is easy too, just buy a braided clutch line. and it will replace the hard/soft line. I got mine from Rywire. As far as other DIYs go, I plan to make one for making a "tucked" engine harness in the near future.

Hope this helps.
Helps a lot man. And I already tucked the headlight harness, but let me know once you update your DIY with new information. Will definitely be using it again!

Flopez76

It's been awhile since I've updated, or let alone done anything to the Civic. But here's what I've gotten done so far.

First thing I did was going out and buy the replacement headlight plugs because the PO chopped them off b/c he had no clue what he was doing. But here's what I bought;

Everything all wired up...

And here is where I realized that soldering isn't for me and it's harder than it seems, that or I shouldn't have gotten such a cheap soldering gun. Either way, hard lol

Rolled the Ol' girl out to tuck the headlight harness and started taking off the bumper and fender

Harness un-clipped and ready to be tucked

Everything removed and ready to go!

And this is where I also made a HUGE mistake of zip-tying the harness under the metal...

And this is the mistake I was talking about... I was so pissed at myself because I knew that it was going to happen, and was just too lazy to take the fender back off. But I learned my lesson ha

"New" clip from a parts Civic at the local junk-yard

And I know this way is usually frowned upon when connecting wires, but after my failure using the solder-gun with the headlights, I went with this.

Zip-tied correctly! And loomed and ready to go!

And viola! No headlight harness in the engine bay! It's the little things that matter! That's another thing off the check-list but I still need to power wash the engine bay to get rid of all that dirt!

Also... MORE HALF-ASS-NESS!!! From PO

Oh, and I sold my white rims to fund my new wheels. So now my Civic looks horrible and these steelies. But it'll all be with it once my new wheels come in!

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks pretty good man. Soldering takes practice, but once you've got it its pretty easy. I might now be updating that thread anymore. I started working on the harness and ended up completely redoing the entire front harness of my car. I've got well over 2 days of labor in it so far and I still have to loom it. It is far from the standard tuck anymore haha.