Just Another Build Thread, My 99' MR EM1

THEDARKONE

Registered VIP
Looks pretty good man. Soldering takes practice, but once you've got it its pretty easy. I might now be updating that thread anymore. I started working on the harness and ended up completely redoing the entire front harness of my car. I've got well over 2 days of labor in it so far and I still have to loom it. It is far from the standard tuck anymore haha.
you decided to go through the front bulk head?

oh and this build<33

Flopez76

It's been awhile but here's what's new with the EM1

Got these bad boys in December, they're XXR 521's Don't judge me ha

And it only took about 3 months for me to finally get some tires for them ha

Before

After

Car is a little too high for my liking now, I want to close up the gap in the back and the front. So need to get rid of these Ebay coilover sleeves and save up and get some F&F Type 1s.

For being 20+ offset, they poked out more than I thought they would, but I'm hoping that once I lower it more, it'll naturally camber in some.

Fenders where cutting the tires because these coilovers suck and I guess ruined the shocks so it gives more than it should. So called up a friend and got all four fenders rolled and a slight pull. Sits a lot better IMO

A couple days later starter went out so I had to replace that, windshield got cracked, so I had to replace that.
And here's how its sitting right now.

Today went out and bought an Apex'i N1 catback to replace my old Blitz Fart can exhaust and some mud flaps. But while I went to install the catback, I ran into a problem. My ITR header has a 2 bolt flange while the catback has a 3 bolt flange. What would I do to fix this? Do they sell adapters? Or am I going to have to take it to get one welded on?

And on top of that, when I bought the mudflaps I completely forgot how I had the SI rear lip, so the mudflaps wont even fit ha. And instead of only having the front and not the rear ones on, I now have OEM mud flaps for sale.

So let me know what you think!

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How much were you selling the mudflaps for?

Flopez76

Was bored this past weekend and decided to clean up the Apex'i N1 catback that I picked up. Started off with a quick wash with some water and dish soap, then started sanding with 800 grit and moving up until 2500, and then finally polishing it up with some Mother's Mag Polish. Not the greatest shine but better than before for sure.

Was still bored after ha and decided to practice on my polishing skills and decided to polish up some ebay strut bars I had lying around. Came out pretty good also ha

And then finally got around to changing the tranny fluid. After getting extremely confused with all the different suggestions of tranny fluid to go with, I just decided to go with Pennzoil Synchromesh. Read some good stuff about it, not the best but not the worst either. Gears shift a bit smoother, but can't say if it was from the new fluid or just the fact that I needed a change ha.

Before

After soap wash

After;

Strut bar

Getting ready

These bolts where a B*&$# to get off! Also anybody have any secrets to cleaning up the forks? Getting coilovers soon, and trying to clean everything up, could I use like POR15 or something similar?

Flopez76

Looks great!
Thanks, slowly but surely making progress!

How much were you selling the mudflaps for?
Sorry man, but I just decided to give them to my brother for his EJ8.

On another note, the next thing on my list is going to be to get the valve cover and intake arm powder coated Tiffany's Teal. Any thoughts on the color scheme? And of course, I'm still saving up for suspension. I also plan on cleaning up the whole under-carriage by coating it with something? Not sure on what though, POR15? Any ideal? Oh, I almost forgot my PLM Test pipe comes in tomorrow, hopefully in the morning so I can go ahead and bolt up the Apex'i catback! Also, I got a 2.5 in test pipe because I have a JDM ITR header, but I was wondering if it'll still bolt up to the catback even though it's 60mm instead of 2.5in

this1ej1

The ride looks really nice after doing all that work to the car. I saw the front reinforcement bar and looks like PO had damage to the front bumper which explains the mismatched color and the fact that whoever welded the reinforcement bar sucks at welding.

Flopez76

Welp, this came in the mail today... my PLM Test pipe so I can finally bolt up my catback! ...Yeah, that didn't happen today, jack stands are too high and couldn't get them under no matter what I did. So needless to say, I blew my top and got pissed haha. So looks like I got to take it to a local muffler shop so they can just bolt it on, hopefully they don't charge some BS price, all they're doing is un-bolting and cutting off the old one and bolting this one on.

I just wanted to be able to say I installed an exhaust by myself :( Oh, and Vexmotorsports is a great place to buy from, haven't had any problems from them and they usually have some good monthly deals and prices! So if you need a new website to get parts, you should give them a look.

Flopez76

Well my brother is stationed up near Kansas City for his job as a MP prison guard, and today we're moving up his wife & son so we rented out a truck and a car hauler. Well I had a brilliant ideal since I dont have any jack stands and couldn't install my exhaust yesterday! I just decided to drive up the ramps from the car hauler, and borrowed a jack stand from one of my neighbors and viola! Enough room for me to get under the Civic!

Well I crawled my big ass under the car, and started removing the old exhaust, and removing the hangers. And that's when I ran into my first problem, since the exhaust is just one whole pipe, instead of actually being broken apart in different sections, I couldn't just pull it out, no matter how hard I tried ha. And seeing as how I'm still building up my stock pile of tools, I don't have a single cutting tool... So I proceeded to get super pissed haha, until my neighbor who let me borrow the jack stand had a power saw and cut this bad boy loose!

Removed this HUGE exhaust can, and started hanging up the Apex'i, all was going well until I finally got to where the test pipe bolts up to the header and realized that the old spring bolts where TOO big to fit in the test pipe flange... So I got pissed... again haha but went through my stock pile of "extra" bolts and nuts from previous cars ha and found two that would be able to do the job. And after a couple hours and a whole bunch of swearing, I had the catback installed! Haven't really got to hear it being outside of the car, because I finished so late. But it's a huge improvement over the previous exhaust. And right now I have the silencer on, I'm thinking of taking it off tomorrow and see how it sounds, and hopefully tomorrow I'll upload a sound clip of the exhaust.

My brothers and my Car

I refused to pay money to a muffler shop when I could do it myself ha (After a long day of moving furniture and driving back and forth, my Father likes to end his day with a nice cold beer while watching me struggle with my Civic ha)

Old exhaust coming out

Here's where I started getting frustrated trying to get the exhaust out ha

Old vs New

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just finished readingthe entire thread, and got to say I enjoyed it. Good to see you're taking care of fixing all the "mods" the prior owner made to that car. Changing an exhaust isn't too difficult, unless some goober welds it all into one piece. Even then, can be done with a lot of pushing/pulling and a lot of wd-40 on the rubber hangers. Also helps to have someone assist you.
It's your car, but wonder why you went with a test pipe instead of a cat? I know we have emissions testing in Texas, so not sure how you get around that (OBD1 ecu, aren't they going to put it on the "sniffer"?)
Anyway, good job so far, and looking forward to more posts

Flopez76

Thanks man!

And we have emissions testing in Texas? Did not know that ha, but down here I've never had them do more than just see if I have insurance... Then again, I don't exactly go to reputable shops for inspection ha.

But besides that I went with a test pipe because it was cheaper than a catalytic converter, and I didn't have to worry about paying extra to have a muffler shop weld on the flanges and all that jazz.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, I understand that cost difference. Those cats aren't cheap (at least quality units). I just replaced the cat on my 99 a week or 2 ago (the CEL came on a few days after I bought the car)
I always get the direct fit units, so no welding involved.

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
great progress, just got done reading the entire thread and I gotta say good f*#king job on hanging in there when sh*t got tough, I know some people here would've given up.

Flopez76

Nice progress!
Thanks man!

great progress, just got done reading the entire thread and I gotta say good f*#king job on hanging in there when sh*t got tough, I know some people here would've given up.
Thanks, it gets frustrating when things don't go like you expect ha But that's just part of how it goes when you work on your car.

EM1 looking good bro. You work hellafast! What are the specs on the tires?
Thanks, and the tires are Falken 912s 205/40/16

Flopez76

So I had a little surprise waiting for me outside today...

I walked out of my house today getting ready to wash my car after a rainy week and just a whole bunch of crap was on my car. Well as I walked out I noticed these 2 big-ass boxes outside of my door, it was odd because I didn't order anything, well at least not anything this big... I wonder what it could be...

BAM! A set of pretty much brand new OEM headlights, turns out these came from my neighbor from across the street that's moving out today! Well she told me one day about how she owned an MR SI just like mine when they first came out, and how she worked for Honda for all these years and after awhile built up a stock pile of parts that she was replacing at the time of owning it. Well she decided just to give these to me because she didn;t have a use for them anymore. BEST NEIGHBOR EVER

So of course the first thing I did was install these bad boys!

So nice and newish...

I'm telling you, she's the best "Dog" lady neighbor ever! Ha She has like 10 of these small little dogs that go crazy once she comes home and opens the garage ha.

Old

NEW

Phoodle

Thanks man! I've been trying to figure out a good fitment with minimal pulling to my fenders.
That's awesome that she just gave you those headlights! They're so fresh. I'm thinking of going 99-00 front
just because they look so much sharper.