just bought a 98 ex

kbradner

So I just bought a 98 ex for 300 bucks.The shop that had the car told me there was a rod knocking but the motor is locked up so I am not real sure what they where talking about. anyway I want to basically swap the motor for another d16y8 because I want this to be as easy as possible. I am not trying to race it or anyth two ing just want a daily driver. So my two questions are ..........Where the hell can I get a d16y8 for a decent price ? and do I have any other options that is bolt plug and play or atleast close to it ? O also, the car is a manual trans, I found a motor but they said it wouldnt work because it is a automatic trans car? I am confused I am used to jeeps, I mean its all about the bellhousing ....im so confused..........

meek61480

98 civic hb b16a
the majority of the engine (block, head , intake mani) should be the same. the difference is the computer, of course tranny and maybe some vacuum lines. not a 100% on that though. if you get the same motor and just use the block and head you will be fine

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
call up some junk yards and see if they can find u a decent engine to just throw in...D's aren't that hard to find with everyone swapping them out..I'm sure u can take one off somebody's hand

kbradner

How much should I expect to pay for one ? Also would it be cheaper just to rebuild the one I have ?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A used y8 should be able to be had for a couple hundred bucks. Especially if you're just buying the motor itself and no transmission, axles, ECU, mounts, sensors, etc. etc. If it's missing anything, transfer from your old motor.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
And they go for so cheap youd probably be better off just buying another one instead of rebuilding that one, but its up to you

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you may have to modify the harness a bit for the IACV connector, because manual has a 2-wire and auto has a 3-wire i believe. but thats all explained on the internet, and not difficult to do. other then that should be a simple swap

swapped

One thing i did notice was that the intake manifold is different for a manual and an automatic. having a d16y8 auto once, the intake manifold didn't have the same ports as a manual does... cause when i bought a blox mani for my d16 i had to plug up a port or two that were meant for a manual car... so that one thing