Keyless entry install advice. How to connect actuator to turning rods?

Logan.d

Hello all,
I'm trying to install a keyless entry system on my 96' ek1. This is the Australian ek civic just to make things clear.
Issue is, the interior door lock is connected to the actual lock via a turning mechanism.
The issue this creates is that the rods don't move in a straight line. It has a kink as it locks/unlocks.
The actuators only move in a straight line, forward or back. Does anyone know a way to over come the issues. since the rods move a little bit vertically as well as horizontally. The actuators have issues pulling then open and closed.

Any tips or advice would be great thanks!

Attachments

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Put the rod back into the fabric bumper. That is designed to apply pressure the rods to prevent what you speak of. However many of these cars are well over 20 years old now and this fabric was not expected to hold up this long.

I have heard of folks putting PVC pipe over the two parallel rods before and after the swivel connector. I have yet to verify this but the point is to keep the rods from flexing and also provided a dual purpose to help prevent against slim Jim tools opening the door easily.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
did this vehicle have factory power locks? if so, you really only need to use a relay to trigger the lock mechanism.

i know factory keyless stops working when the radio is removed, but i've been studying the wiring diagram, and i think it should be possible to install something like a viper keyless only system, by connecting at the old security harness that plugged into the radio.

haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Logan.d

Put the rod back into the fabric bumper. That is designed to apply pressure the rods to prevent what you speak of. However many of these cars are well over 20 years old now and this fabric was not expected to hold up this long.

I have heard of folks putting PVC pipe over the two parallel rods before and after the swivel connector. I have yet to verify this but the point is to keep the rods from flexing and also provided a dual purpose to help prevent against slim Jim tools opening the door easily.
That's actually quite interesting I may give it a try. Unfortunately the previous owner seemed to have thrown out the foam/fabric bumpers. I've only noticed quite recently when I was wondering why the lock rods rattled so much while accelerating. Turns out I was missing the little bumper/pads. Didn't notice until I was trying to install the keyless entry system a few days ago.

Do you have any photos or videos on how people did it with the PVC pipe? It seems definitely like a feasible solution.

Logan.d

did this vehicle have factory power locks? if so, you really only need to use a relay to trigger the lock mechanism.

i know factory keyless stops working when the radio is removed, but i've been studying the wiring diagram, and i think it should be possible to install something like a viper keyless only system, by connecting at the old security harness that plugged into the radio.

haven't had a chance to test it yet.
Unfortunately most Australian 3dr civics don't have any sort of power or central locking mechanism. Nothing more than rods connected to the doors. Only the CTR and late 2000s models might have them.

As for the radio immobilizer, I've never thought about it. I don't even know if the Australian civics have it. I'll definitely look into it. Australian civics are strangely very different compared to the US ones despite having the same chassis.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
only the factory keyless entry had the radio issue.
it was the brain for everything.

are the Australian civics physically different? if not, couldn't you just install the US or JDM lock actuators?
I believe they mount in place of that lever you have circled in red .

Replacement actuators are less than $20 US.