Knocking from right strut

ChrisBMacon

After swapping a transmission on my daughters 02 Civic automatic, we are on a witch hunt trying to find a knocking/rattling should on the right side. Last night I was trying to see if the spring was somehow loose. Is there a good way to check if the spring is set correctly? I can’t find a way to adjust it.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check the obvious things first:

inner/outer tie rod (independently)
axle
upper and lower ball joints

any one of those things cause a knocking sound, some dependent on speed or angle of the wheel.

if a strut is bad they tend to sag and squeak in addition to feeling sloppy when you hit bumps.

BUT to your original question:

put the front end on jack stands and remove your tire, inspect the top and bottom "seats" of the spring, the should both sit in a grove in the metal base and top-hat of the strut itself.

while you're down there grab the brake rotor at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and push and pull and alternate arms pushing and pulling. I bet you find your rattle.. if you don't, it's the axle OR the last thing you want, the differential is having issues.

hope this helps.

landt222

Sway bar end links. Just did them on mine. Could not figure out the annoying banging sound and that was it. Cheap fix. I suggest the Moog links and they are $18 a piece at autopartstomorrow online. I will bet this is your problem.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You sure its from the strut? Does it knock while your turning?