Leaks in my 96 Ex

krazyblonde

Banned
Ok here is my problem, my trunk fills with water and my carpet in the inside of the car is soaked, the seats are dry the doors are dry and the areas of the carpet that go up are dry...
i thought it might have been my trunk seal but now the inside is wet too my step dad says it may be my front and rear window seal but i dont know. i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, I hear a lot of trunk leaks in the 96-98's. I guess I've been pretty fortunate so far. GL on finding out where the leak is.

PavementPounder

5+ Year Member
krazyblonde said:
Ok here is my problem, my trunk fills with water and my carpet in the inside of the car is soaked, the seats are dry the doors are dry and the areas of the carpet that go up are dry...
i thought it might have been my trunk seal but now the inside is wet too my step dad says it may be my front and rear window seal but i dont know. i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem

Peel off the trim panels and and pull down the head liner.... then run a garden hose over your car.... if youve got a leak, and water is going over the leaky area... your sure to see where its comming from!

douggiefresh

Douggie Fresh
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
has your car ever been in a wreck? Look for body seams and/or seam sealer that doesnt look factory. Most likely your trunk isnt sealing right and needs to be adjusted, you can do that by raising the latch. You can also find the leeks by doing what is said above. Do you have a factory sun roof?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Never heard of the interior leaking. I'd check your moonroof drains (in the rear they're on the sides, pull the carpet away in the trunk and you'll see them), taillight (seals), and the trunk seal.

Fold your rear seats forward and lay down on them facing into the trunk. Bring a flashlight. Have someone else run a hose over the rear of the car and watch for drips. Might not be a bad idea to bring a marker to mark where it's leaking too. Don't have them spray the hose at the car, that could change the results. Just run the hose gently over the car, if you have an attachment then set it to one similar to rain maybe. no high pressure though.

Cracks and holes in the car are uncommon.

hondavtec01

5+ Year Member
My trunk leaks horribly on my 98 ex. very frustrating and hard to fix.Honda should do a recall because it is very common.Lots of vids on youtube of the same issue.

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the same problem on my 96 hatch too! I have small leakage some where, but I don't know where it's coming from.

rebirth

5+ Year Member
Same problem with the trunk. My car has slight damage by the passenger tail light though right beside it. No idea, previous owner. The trunk doesn't sit flush so pretty sure that's the problem for me.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mods? Can we lock this or something? Its not gunna go anywhere other than the 8 year bump...