Looking for opinions on timing belt change.

ZJeweler

5+ Year Member
What milage do you guys suggest for replacing the timing belt. I've always understood it to be done at 60k, but I can't find any proof of what honda suggests.

EK_99_BOI

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my friends did theres at 87-90k as well as the water pump..

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im at 103k and havent had mine changed... im breakin the law, breakin the law.... rebel without a cause.

ZJeweler

5+ Year Member
Do you guys think there is a "age" limit on a belt? I'm only at 60k right now, and I average about 5 to 6k a year on my car.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The factory recommendation is suppose to be 90k as far as I know. I'm going to be getting mine changed in a few weeks with 88500 on the car.

JSWhaler

5+ Year Member
I've got almost 75k miles on my 97 and don't plan on swapping it out till 90k as Honda recommends. Exceptions would be if there are worn spots or cracking etc. Just inspect it and get it adjusted, it should be fine.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah the dealer told me that the belt is 90k...

He said you can never really know when its going to go... sometimes they last way beyond, sometimes they dont. Its just youre taking a chance by not getting it changed, when it goes, youre going to be paying a lot of cash to get the engine fixed.

Its next on my list of repairs to get fixed... I need to get my CV joint checked, and then belt time.

TheWingMang

Good news everyone!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard definately do it by 120k. The previous owner replaced mine at 60k, and I'll be doing it again at about 150k.

I'd say just get it done by 80k or so, whenever you have a good oportunity; then you don't have to worry about it.