Looking to Change Steering wheel and Airbag

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hello all. im repairing my 96 ex coupe. i was hit by a re-treaded tire on the highway and it set off both airbags. great company honda is, im still alive...buuuuut bad idea not to have the car start when the air bags go off ( i was stuck in the center lane ) so0o. instead of paying hundreds of dollars to have both airbags done im just buynig a Spoon Steering wheel to elimanate the Driverside Airbag (the air bag is about hte size of a basketball and i sit no where near it, even when ti went off) and just getting the passenger side airbag replaced.

Project : Replacing the Steering wheel and Passenger side airbag.

Would any of you b able to give me um a step by step if not atleast simple way of explaining how to change my steerign wheel?

Also how to change and install another airbag?

Thank you

slammed98hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like aaren said, you need to have both of them for them to function. you'll also need to have your srs light reset by Honda, use the plug from Honda and the DIY on this forum, or use the paperclip method also discussed on this forum. I just recently replaced my steering wheel with a SRS one, so I have the srs light on. but what I don't understand is, if the air bag saved you from injury, why are you replacing it with a steering wheel WITHOUT a steering wheel? I'd recommend one of the srs wheels! and the installation is super easy.

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks alot guys ^_^.

slammed98hatch - it didnt save me...it choked the crap outa me with the dust and smoke that came out from it not being deployed in about 5 years lol but i dont sit close enough even if was to hit hard enough to be jurked forward i wouldnt be near the airbag.

(i need atleast one air bag to make the car legal thats why i only wanna do one. but theres no way to make the one function?)

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GreenThunder said:
(i need atleast one air bag to make the car legal thats why i only wanna do one. but theres no way to make the one function?)
If your using a non-airbag wheel like a momo or something else then the srs unit is going to be disabled which means no airbags will work. And I really think theres no way into tricking the system so the airbags will work.

I've been debating on weather or not to upgrade to a quick release+aftermarket wheel but I think the wise thing to do is upgrade to racing seats with harnesses to protect yourself and your passengers before ditching the airbags.

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
aaren99 said:
If your using a non-airbag wheel like a momo or something else then the srs unit is going to be disabled which means no airbags will work. And I really think theres no way into tricking the system so the airbags will work.

I've been debating on weather or not to upgrade to a quick release+aftermarket wheel but I think the wise thing to do is upgrade to racing seats with harnesses to protect yourself and your passengers before ditching the airbags.
yea i got a Bride with quick release hub. but im gonna look into tricknig the system. :???: but ive been getting a few of my stuff off ebay (new and moderatly used) i planed on saving for sum racing seats and harnessess. but for the airbag. as long as i have one the car is legal. lol but i do wanna protect my passenger. :???:

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
was looking at some air abgs on ebay. each side has its own computer. so the passenger side should work with out hte driver side.

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no it will not work without the driver side...because as soon u unplug anything with the srs system it throws the light on and shuts the whole system down...

Jase

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So you're sayin once anything SRS is unpluged' it resets it self!? but then i can jsut plug it back in right? no harm right? cause i need to replace my dash bezel.

slammed98hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope, if you unplug srs, it will throw the SRS light off. even if you unplug it, install a new steering whell, and plug the srs back in, it will still throw the srs light. you will either need to: take it to honda and have it reset, use the paperclip method and a DIY from here, or buy the srs connector from Honda and follow the DIY.

trust me, I know, I just replaced my steering wheel wiht a dc5 wheel, and the srs light is still on, and my wheel has a airbag!

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
slammed98hatch said:
nope, if you unplug srs, it will throw the SRS light off. even if you unplug it, install a new steering whell, and plug the srs back in, it will still throw the srs light. you will either need to: take it to honda and have it reset, use the paperclip method and a DIY from here, or buy the srs connector from Honda and follow the DIY.

trust me, I know, I just replaced my steering wheel wiht a dc5 wheel, and the srs light is still on, and my wheel has a airbag!
wow..honda sucks... :P lol paper clip method? so then it really doesnt matter if i do do the driverside cuz then it still not gonna work till its reset. even tho there is no driverside bag the passenger side having it own computer abd nbeign hooked to the SRS system. it should beable to be set for passenger only... ill lookn into more when i get hte bags. but how would i search for this "Paper Clip Method" ? everyoens saying paper clip method but no telling wut, how or where to find it.

slammed98hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=955

There is a how to using the SRS Honda connector. I have two or three links at home that I'll post for you explaining the paper clip method.

Do a Google search for "resetting srs light" and you'll get a wealth of information.

But from what I understand, is if passenger, driver, or both are unplugged, the light will be triggered. And the only way to get the light off is to reset the system. If you dont want to do it yourself, Honda will do it for $75.