Looking to get more power out of my D17A2

bmk6795

Hey guys, i have a 01 civic ex coupe with the stock D17A2 and im looking to get more power out of it. I know these engines arent very good at producing power but id like to get a little more. Things i know i can do are stage 1 cams, exhaust/headers (already have an aem intake), lighter flywheel which really doesnt produce more power, and port/polish/shaving the head, im just curious as to how much more hp/torque doing these things would create? Dont wanna turbo it or do a swap just looking to make it a little more fun to drive as its my DD. Thanks in advance for the answers.

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
you wont actually be able to make anything noticable even with i-h-e, cams, and shaved heads. Those motors were engineered for fuel economy not really much horsepower and the torque would be low. A cheap small turbo kit under a $1000 would be your best bet.

bmk6795

Alright man thanks, how would the internals on this engine do with a turbo? and how will a turbo affect my gas mileage?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I/H/E = < 10 whp
Cam = < 15 whp
Port/polish/shave = <20 whp
Light flywheel/ more aggressive clutch = 0 whp, just a more responsive engagement/ pedal feel

all of the above are optimistic number. on a 70 degree day at about 10-15% humidity at sea level.

if you're not looking to boost it and to be honest it would kind of be a waste if you did ( cost vs benefit would be bad) the only other option for any kind of power is a nitrous system.

newbraza

Im swaping A2 to my EM2 LX and boosting it. I got everything ready to go !
Either boost or K swap ! :D

RoidBear

UrbanSleepers
Registered VIP
Even if you were to add the things you mentioned you should be able to notice a difference. Plus, your engine will sound meaner too :D