losing engine oil, but no sign of leaking

nplaya9

5+ Year Member
hello, my civic is losing engine oil, but there is no sign of leaking on the ground does anyone know the problem

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well all cars burn a lil oil how much you losing?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Could be a couple things. If you are absolutely certain there is no oil leaking onto the ground, it could either be a bad head gasket or bad rings. Check your coolant to see if there is any oil in it.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
From Montreal? 1260km round trip?
Just in case, put the car up on jack stands and check the it for signs of oil leaks. It might not leak when it's just sitting, but can leak profusely only during engine operation. If there still isn't any visual signs of leaking. Check your spark plugs for oil or ash deposits on them. That would indicate oil getting into your cylinders.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did you check your oil before you drove? If you did lose oil, its dripping out somewhere, look for any wet residue. Around the engine and below the engine. Use degreaser if there is oil buildup all over the place.

nplaya9

5+ Year Member
Did you check your oil before you drove? If you did lose oil, its dripping out somewhere, look for any wet residue. Around the engine and below the engine. Use degreaser if there is oil buildup all over the place.
I did check the oil before leaving, and there is no sign of leaking on the ground.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dude did you ignore my post? If there are no signs of it leaking, then it is likely being lost either through the head gasket or the piston rings. Check your coolant.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dude did you ignore my post? If there are no signs of it leaking, then it is likely being lost either through the head gasket or the piston rings. Check your coolant.
or could be valve seals

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Okay. But I like to start with the stuff thats easiest to check :lol:

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
checking piston rings is easy? lol

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
No, thats why I told him to check his coolant :wak:

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh. i could've sworn you said head gasket or piston rings?

stl

was there excessive smoke coming out your exhaust you were aware of during your trip?

Vitaliy93

check the compression. If its low, then you will be burning oil. If its ok then look at exhaust smoke. Either way you are burning oil if its not leaking anywhere

wickedEF

sleeper
:smackself dude, simply check ur coolant and/or plugs (regardless if new or not). thats if ur certainly sure that theres no leak visible.. it could only be the head gasket, valve seals, piston rings, valve seat carbon deposites. better yet, a knowledgable frend of urs cud simply check it. goodluck. ;)

adamls

has to be head gasket or rings. check for smoke out of exhaust. or just check muffler to see if oil is in it. put finger in muffler and rub around it.

zeroarmy27

5+ Year Member
check both your coolant and oil to make sure they aren't "milky", as would happen with a leak between.
check dry compression, then do a wet compression test. if you're getting bad results dry and better with a wet test, you're burning oil by leaking through the rings or because you have scarred cylinder walls.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
way to revive a 9 month old thread that nobody cares about anymore