Loud Axle Grinding while Turning.

Alex_fl05

Ok, so I put a LSVtec swap into an EM1. Civic Si 00.
The Block is B18a and tranny is LS as well.
I drove straight and drove backwards even while turning and had no problems.
I tried driving straight forward, no problems.
And when I turn either left or right while going forward, I hear a loud knock coming from the front, as if the axles are bad.
I replaced both pass. and drivers side axles at AutoZone with 94 Integra LS (w.o ABS) axles.
And still this problem persists.
I picked up the car in the air and accelerated while twisting the wheels left and right but there was no problem/. As soon as I put it down and turn, it makes that loud grinding noise, as if its about to pop out or something. The only axle piece I didn't replace is the male halfshaft.

Any help? Please let me know asap. I've been working on this car all year long and I really wanna drive it already. I just did the swap and started driving and it suddenly made this grinding/popping noise. :2confused

Doubletap

5+ Year Member
That sounds like your ball joints are bad. If they're original and you re-used the old ones that's most likely the problem.

BALL JOINTS!!!!!!!

Alex_fl05

Hmm which ones do you think? Top, bottom or both of them on both sides? I'll check tomorrow with my dad and try replacing them. Also, the bottom ball joint is busted n has grease everywhere. Its been busted..

Doubletap

5+ Year Member
That bottom ball joint would be part of the popping. Anytime you turn the wheel with load on it, and the ball joint is bad it pops.

Alex_fl05

Ok I knocked out a bottom ball joint from my other civic which has a good ball joint and installed it and it still pops while I go forward and turn either way. Any ideas?

Alex_fl05

That sounds like your ball joints are bad. If they're original and you re-used the old ones that's most likely the problem.

BALL JOINTS!!!!!!!
BULL SH*T!!!!!!!!

I finally solved the problem =)) It was bcuz I had motor oil in my tranny. Go figure haha. The Kaaz LSD that I got wants special care only. I bought Valvoline 80w/90 gear oil and friction modifier and works wayyyy better:D

Here's the link to if you was curious...

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/351738-front-grinding-popping-noise-wheels.html#post4619224