lowering help!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so shock absorber is the agreed on term for CC?
Nope. I disagree.

I will, however secede for sake of running in circles.

I have a question, if there is no struts on our cars why are there strut tower bars? Why the strut tower? Is it because the "shock" is built within a "strut" body, therefor making it a strut? Shouldn't they be called shock tower bars then, or is it just an incorrect name that stuck?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nope. I disagree.

I will, however secede for sake of running in circles.

I have a question, if there is no struts on our cars why are there strut tower bars? Why the strut tower? Is it because the "shock" is built within a "strut" body, therefor making it a strut? Shouldn't they be called shock tower bars then, or is it just an incorrect name that stuck?
lmao... I didn't even read this before I made my last post. Practially the same wording I used..
*A*nother common dampening structure is the strut -- basically a shock absorber mounted inside a coil spring. Struts perform two jobs: They provide a dampening function like shock absorbers, and they provide structural support for the vehicle suspension.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension3.htm

There are struts fround on '01+ Civics and the proper term to use IS in fact strut bars. BECAUSE they use struts.

BUT

On previous models, they are properly named SHOCK tower braces. BECAUSE they do NOT use struts. They are shock towers.

Look it up and you'll find that there are companies using the words "shock tower braces" for the right applications. Although yes, the term "strut bars" has become so widely and incorrectly used that people just say it so everyone understands. Everyone knows it's just a bar that connects the 2 towers (regardless of being a shock or strut).

A strut bar, strut brace, or strut tower brace (STB) is a mostly aftermarket car suspension accessory usually used in conjunction with MacPherson struts on monocoque or unibody chassis to provide extra stiffness between the strut towers.
http://seriousmf.com/index.php/vehicles/9-uncategorised/78

With a MacPherson strut suspension system where the spring and shock absorber are combined in the one suspension unit, the entire vertical suspension load is transmitted to the top of the vehicle's strut tower, unlike a double wishbone suspension where the spring and shock absorber may share the load separately.

A strut bar is designed to reduce this strut tower flex by tying two parallel strut towers together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut_bar <- and before you say Wiki isn't a valid souce of info, well, it actually is now. I've had numerous professors say that we are absoultely aloud to reference Wiki in our research and writings.

I'm not trying to pull stuff out of my ass. Clearly the definitions and distinctions of both are writen in many articles.