lowering springs, Eibach or H/R?

LoveMy05Civic

I just got 15in Konig Feather rims and i want to lower my civic about 1 inch, ive looked a the eibach pro kit, and H@R sport springs,anybody recommend a certain brand?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
there both good brands but i personally would get eibach.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have to agree. I think Eibach generally has a better reputation. Eibach will lower you about 1.5 inches though, but thats not much of a difference. I dont know what kind of condition the roads near you are.....if they are relatively smooth, you SHOULD be okay on stock shocks for a little while. But its not recommended. You are better off saving up for a decent coilover set, or getting a set of aftermarket shocks to go with the springs.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ I'm in a 6th gen, but I like my Eibach pros, running on stock shocks for nearly a year without any problems. I'm toe-corrected with a Blox camber kit and don't take corners particularly hard. Nice aggressive stance without the tastelessly overdone fender/wheel overlap look.

Not that I'm recommending you overlook purchasing a set of aftermarket shocks--in the long run this will probably look and feel a lot better--but I just wanted to point out my positive experience using springs with stock shocks.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the input VSP.

LoveMy05Civic......you can get away with just lowering springs for a certain amount of time, but will be risking blowing your stock shocks. And you are also sacrificing performance and ride quality. Its a choice you have to take.

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have to agree. I think Eibach generally has a better reputation. Eibach will lower you about 1.5 inches though, but thats not much of a difference. I dont know what kind of condition the roads near you are.....if they are relatively smooth, you SHOULD be okay on stock shocks for a little while. But its not recommended. You are better off saving up for a decent coilover set, or getting a set of aftermarket shocks to go with the springs.
^^ I'm in a 6th gen, but I like my Eibach pros, running on stock shocks for nearly a year without any problems. I'm toe-corrected with a Blox camber kit and don't take corners particularly hard. Nice aggressive stance without the tastelessly overdone fender/wheel overlap look.

Not that I'm recommending you overlook purchasing a set of aftermarket shocks--in the long run this will probably look and feel a lot better--but I just wanted to point out my positive experience using springs with stock shocks.
Thanks for the input VSP.

LoveMy05Civic......you can get away with just lowering springs for a certain amount of time, but will be risking blowing your stock shocks. And you are also sacrificing performance and ride quality. Its a choice you have to take.
They told you exactly right.:word:

Also, if you do just run the springs w/ stock shocks, how many miles are on your car?
And are they the original shocks? If your mileage is high, and the stocks are original, you're going to want to save your money for good shocks as well.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
My brother bought Eibach Pros for his 7th Gen a couple months after he bought the car brand new back in 2002. Ended up blowing the shocks in a month. Might now happen to you, but you might want to look into aftermarket shocks just in case.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Also, if you do just run the springs w/ stock shocks, how many miles are on your car?
And are they the original shocks? If your mileage is high, and the stocks are original, you're going to want to save your money for good shocks as well.
Just for reference purposes, I'm just shy of 200,000 miles on mine running stock shocks. Of those I (second owner) put 100,000 miles on, and roughly 25,000 of those miles are on Eibachs.

2NRSTV said:
My brother bought Eibach Pros for his 7th Gen a couple months after he bought the car brand new back in 2002. Ended up blowing the shocks in a month. Might now happen to you, but you might want to look into aftermarket shocks just in case..
OP, you should definitely consider heeding the advice of those with a similar-generation civic.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Yeah, I think it was just because it was a 7th gen though because 7th gen's have a completely different suspension setup than the 5th and 6th gen's. The 7th Gen shocks turn with the wheels and have bearings in the top mount.

I had Eibach Sportline springs on stock shocks on my Honda Civic del Sol Type S and the shocks were fine for a year before I got rid of the car.

LoveMy05Civic

would a 1.5 inch drop fill in some of that wheel gap without clearance problems?

LoveMy05Civic

i have a little over 70k miles on mine mostly highway miles though.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
The Pro Kit are softer and don't lower the kit as much as the Sportlines.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Right now i have 15in Konigs on a 195/60 tire.
Im going to be honest, I cant answer your question regardless. But anyone who CAN answer it will need to know other things such as the width and offset of your wheel.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would go outside with a measuring tape ans see what to expect from the drop.