Malfunctioning breaks Honda 98?

Discussion in 'Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension (All Gens)' started by 98civichonda, Oct 18, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. 98civichonda

98civichonda New Member

I have a 98 Honda civic.
    I have new front breaks.

While I was driving my handbreak light kept turning on and off. I parked and when I went to use my car again, my foot break had no more pressure and went straight to the floor and very slowly started to slow down and I had to use my hand break to stop.

Any idea's of what happened?
    how much will it cost to repair?

2. chromal

chromal New Member 5+ Year Member

The brake light can turn on if the hand brake is pulled. It can also turn on if the brake fluid reservoir is low. It sounds like you may have a brake slave cylinder leaking, or possibly a leaking brake line. Look for brake fluid on your wheels or inside the wheel wells. Caliper rebuild kits cost about US$5, removable brake lines are pretty cheap, too. If it's a hard line or the master cylinder that's leaking, you're looking at something more expensive. If you pay a mechanic, you're probably talking about at least US$100 or up.

3. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Agreed. Low brake fluid seems to be the most likely cause for brake lights that come on. I would start at your MC/firewall and check for leaks.