Malfunctioning breaks Honda 98?

I have a 98 Honda civic.
I have new front breaks.

While I was driving my handbreak light kept turning on and off. I parked and when I went to use my car again, my foot break had no more pressure and went straight to the floor and very slowly started to slow down and I had to use my hand break to stop.

Any idea's of what happened?
how much will it cost to repair?

chromal

5+ Year Member
The brake light can turn on if the hand brake is pulled. It can also turn on if the brake fluid reservoir is low. It sounds like you may have a brake slave cylinder leaking, or possibly a leaking brake line. Look for brake fluid on your wheels or inside the wheel wells. Caliper rebuild kits cost about US$5, removable brake lines are pretty cheap, too. If it's a hard line or the master cylinder that's leaking, you're looking at something more expensive. If you pay a mechanic, you're probably talking about at least US$100 or up.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The brake light can turn on if the hand brake is pulled. It can also turn on if the brake fluid reservoir is low. It sounds like you may have a brake slave cylinder leaking, or possibly a leaking brake line. Look for brake fluid on your wheels or inside the wheel wells. Caliper rebuild kits cost about US$5, removable brake lines are pretty cheap, too. If it's a hard line or the master cylinder that's leaking, you're looking at something more expensive. If you pay a mechanic, you're probably talking about at least US$100 or up.
Agreed. Low brake fluid seems to be the most likely cause for brake lights that come on. I would start at your MC/firewall and check for leaks.

VigLink badge