Manual Driver Door Lock 1990 DX Hatch

haydeon

I have manual locks. The driver's side door lock is a pain in the butt.

When I'm in the car, I have to hold the lock switch unlocked as I pull the handle to open the door. It won't stay unlocked. When I get out and shut the door, it locks by itself. I have locked my keys in the car a couple of times because of this, once when the car was running.

The key turns to the right to unlock, and when it's vertical it locks. You don't have to turn the key to the left to lock it.

I mostly just don't want the door to lock by itself when I get out and shut the door.

Any ideas?

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Mine does kind of the opposite, i can't lock the door without having the door handle pulled out. and i can't put the key all the way in to lock/unlock it has to be slightly out. short of removing the door panel and grabbing a Haynes manual i can't think of anything to fix your or my issue :/

RonJ

Banned
Download the service manual (site 1 in my signature).
Remove door panel and inspect the latch assembly, lock rods and lock cylinder.

Attachments

haydeon

Alright. I'll look into it. Will post pics when I get it fixed.

haydeon

I took a look inside. I couldn't see any way to adjust anything. But I played around with it for a while, and it just seems like the lock was super sticky at one point in its rotation. I tried disengaging the inside lock rod and then the key lock rod to get a feel for it. It felt a little better after spraying the crap out if it with PB Blaster.

I finally just said screw it and took off both of the lock rods, so now it's permanently unlocked. I prefer to leave my doors unlocked anyway.

I also found a spare part that looks like it came from the lock???

And the seatbelt sensor cover thingy was broken off, so I glued it back on.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Suppose to do it, so you don't lock your keys in your car, makes you think twice.