Midwest bordom.

ferret15

98 ex d16y8 ej8 auto:???:

anywho did one headlight today, they needed some tlc. Probably spend the next half year just cleaning the car up. Today was just the one side blacked out and polishing the lens.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:like:

ferret15

Thanks guys, Its taken me a while to warm up to this civic after coming from 3 fords. Just a different vehicle, but i've had a lot neg imput around me regarding it Not to mention just keeping the 230k rough miles on the road. I only look forward to my playing with mine in the future. As she sit, the body is ok a couple spots gas tank side need some repair. But the front clip needs to be taken off and repainted as well as the rear clip. For some reason the paint is cracked, rusting or parts bent out of shape.

ferret15

round two, finished off the passenger side tonight so it matches:cool:
To dark right now to snag a decent pick so just the close ups till tomorrow.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks good! Feel free to visit us in the Midwest section! =)

ferret15

not the brightest of days, should have done it before i went out for lunch the sun was out then. Pictures are still better than the garage ones i tried taking last night.

kozy6871

I know what I'll be doing soon...^^^this^^^. I ran my car through an automatic touchless carwash the other day, and my headlight fogged up, guess the seal is bad. Perfect occasion to crack them open for some modding, HA! Looks good!

ferret15

make sure when you re-seal them to stick them back in the oven for a min or so and really press it back together. I scraped the goop off the lens and then just pulled the big chunks out of the housing which is recessed. The factory stuff is crazy strong. I used 325 in my oven so i only had to deal with a couple mins at the most. I can't imagine why some people set it to a lower temp and wait 20-30 minutes.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah bro looks nice, did u bake em in the oven after words or just let em dry normally?

kozy6871

make sure when you re-seal them to stick them back in the oven for a min or so and really press it back together.

I used 325 in my oven so i only had to deal with a couple mins at the most. I can't imagine why some people set it to a lower temp and wait 20-30 minutes.
^^^Thanks for the advice. I'm also going to add a projector lens, for a future HID upgrade while I'm in there.

ferret15

Yeah bro looks nice, did u bake em in the oven after words or just let em dry normally?
Well, I'm not really sure how anybody puts their headlights back together without backing them back together. I wasn't able to push the two pieces back to clip together at first. I was using 325 degrees so when pulled them apart i left them in the oven for 2min 45 sec ( anymore the parts start getting too hot) then as it cooled i stick it in for another min so i could keep prying it apart. Putting it back together I used the same temp and only left it in for a min. The new sealant will probably run if you leave it in too long. I was only able to press it all back together then and it took me 2 tries to get all the clips mushed back together. Everything drys normally after that, the factory stuff dries pretty quick and i have no clue how long it takes for the new sealant i added to dry. I imagine a like getting a new window a few days before its fully good and dry.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
wow amazing job in cleaning up those lenses. they look impeccable.

rockford?

ferret15

wow amazing job in cleaning up those lenses. they look impeccable.

rockford?
yes rockford, and thank you. I found on my other cars that just busting out the sand paper is best as long as you don't mind spending a few hours sanding. I had (all wet) 320,400,600,1000,2000. Then I use a use meguires plastic x polish. I bought a kit that had a microfiber wheel drill attachment. I use that to get it really clear then use a microfiber cloth with the polish and hand detail the rest out.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'll definitely have to get on that with mine.. they're starting to get rather cloudy... sanding for hours on end shouldn't be a problem. my right forearm is already accustomed to such movements lol

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow anf haha. so thats how people do it. Cant believe I never though about wet sanding. Thise headlight cleaning kits don't do s**t haha

ferret15

yeah Pick up the plastic X kit by Meguiars, I find the drill attachment helps make the last step go by quicker. Take your time sanding each step till its uniform in color/scratches and then keep moving up till you polish them bad boys.