Mild NA build on a B16a1

SimplyTron

5+ Year Member
I just swapped a jdm b16a1 into my 90 CRX. Its pretty quick but its not that quick. Im not looking into forced induction just becuase I dont want to on a B16. I was thinking about getting some ITR cams but Im not sure on what springs/retainers to get. Would say a skunk 2 intake manifold and bigger TB make any difference?

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
usually the IM only helps on a motor that is already built pretty well, they won't make a ton of difference until you get cams, otherwise it's still sucking in the same amount of air it would be with the stock one.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stronger valves and spings, lighter valve spring retainers, good cams. then upgrade the IM and TB. add some kind of engine management in the mix should be good.

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
stronger valves and spings, lighter valve spring retainers, good cams. then upgrade the IM and TB. add some kind of engine management in the mix should be good.
Yeah you will need I/H/E/Cams...exactly what Green91 said......

if oyu are going n/a maybe some higher compression pistons too!!!!

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pistons can come later, for quick performance, valve train upgrades are great, to bad there arnt many performance valve train parts for teh ZC, enough though :twisted:

SimplyTron

5+ Year Member
I already have a custom 2.25" exauast, intake, and the jdm exhaust manifold. I dont exactly know what header to get. Can you recommend a certain brand of valve/springs/retainers if I were go with the ITR cams. Would a Apexi VAFC do for some kind of management or should I go for BRE. (odb0) There are lots of good local places here that does good dyno tuning.

SimplyTron

5+ Year Member
I guess with that much top end I would want BRE or similar just so I can raise the rev limiter.

SimplyTron

5+ Year Member
Also I forgot to say, The reason I want to go NA is becuase I got a Y1 w/ LSD with my b16 and the gears are SO short which would be perfect for a little NA build.

Inigo Montoya